GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, November 11, 2015 – “N” classes
Veterans’ Day Special Schedule
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Based on student suggestions, new items in announcements will be highlighted to call attention to them. Others are included as reminders so you don’t have to look up past announcements for info.
· Congratulations to the L&N Scholars' Bowl Team who have made it to the semi-finals of the East TN PBS Scholars' Bowl Tournament! The team consists of Kishan Tailor, Jacob Samar, Alex Bissel, Cole McElmurray, Justin Cross, Emmanuel Sosa-Cruz, and Gareth Frymier. Be sure to cheer them on as they work their way to the finals!
· Regardless of your political views – a chance to see the American democratic process up close is happening next Monday, Nov 16, as presidential candidate Donald Trump comes to the Knoxville Convention Center at 7:00 p.m. The event is free but you must register for a seat. You can sign up for tickets here. This is in no way an endorsement of any political campaign, only an attempt to let you know of an event occurring near our school. Expect afternoon traffic patterns to be affected on that date.
· Way to go Cross Country runners! You all represented us so well at the state championships this weekend – our girls placed 11th overall as a team in the state. Our highest ranking runner was Laura Bretscher who finished 23rd, followed at #70, Brooke Foster, #89, Rowan Hamilton, #96, McKensie Nelms, #125, Emily Sutherland, #126, Grace Berry, and #168, Taylor Hancock. These places are out of all runners in our division across the whole state! Well done, ladies!
· Congratulations to our 9th graders Connor McGinley (violin) and Mattie Mills (contrabass) who were both selected for the top orchestra in Junior Clinic auditions this weekend! Also, congratulations to Macy Hudson (cello) who was ranked as a high alternate placement! Students competed against top musicians from Oak Ridge, Maryville, and Knoxville programs. Way to demonstrate the Arts behind our Design excellence!
· Prom tickets for the Junior/Senior Prom are now available for purchase during lunch. All tickets are $40 through November and December. Get your tickets now while the price is low.
Theme: A Red Carpet Romance; Location: Gettysvue Country Club
Date: April 23, 2016 ; Time: 7-11pm
· Please note – today, Nov 11, we will be taking an all-school walking field trip to watch the Veterans Day parade on Gay St. All students will walk with their Advisory groups to a designated viewing spot for the parade. For those with Dual Enrollment or Open Blocks, make note – this is the bell schedule for Wednesday:
o 1st block: 9:30 – 10:25
o Meet Advisory class, view parade: 10:30 – 12:20 those not attending will report to Commons area for supervision
o Genius Hour: 12:20 – 1:41 (normal schedule)
o 2nd block: 1:41 – 2:36
o 3rd block: 2:41 – 3:36
o 4th block: 3:41 – 4:30
· Congratulations to the following Broadcast Journalism students for winning the ORNL Thank a Veteran Video Contest: Anna Horrocks, Destiny Large, Cinna Lockhart, Devon McGinley, and Lauren Morris. The winning video will be showcased during a Veterans' Program in Oak Ridge on November 11. The broadcasting team will be presented an award and $300, and $200 will be presented to the school. Here’s a link to view the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz5HM0D2r1Q
· The L&N STEMpunks FRC Team 3966 are collecting socks for Socks for the Sox, a holiday outreach drive lead by the Evil Purple Sox FTC Team 8498. We need your help gathering socks to donate to our local Knoxville charity, and you can bring new and unused socks in the green recycling bin in the front office. We'll be collecting socks until December 4th, so please consider helping us give back to the community!
· Interested in writing a novel? Maybe you've already started one? November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Check out the website for the Young Writers Program and sign up here: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/. To celebrate and encourage participation, the Media Center will be open at 8 a.m. in the morning throughout November. Just think about what you could accomplish in just 1 hour a day for a month! Work alongside Mr. Crattie and Ms. Ellis as they work on their own novels.
Community & Guidance Ops:
Quote of the day from John F Kennedy:
As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
Thank a Veteran (or his/her family) today!
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)