GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, November 19, 2015 – “L” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Congrats to the Ultimate Frisbee team on winning the Kentucky Open Invitational tournament this past weekend in Louisville, Kentucky. The Varsity team went 7-2, taking home first place against teams from Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee! The JV squad also went to the tournament and made incredible improvement over the course of the weekend.
· The Recycle Club is kicking off its campaign this week. In some classrooms you will see a GREEN bin with "Keep Knoxville Beautiful" on the front. These bins are for classroom collections of PAPER ONLY. Please help us keep the L&N STEM school beautiful by placing your paper for recycling in the bins. Within the next few days there will be green bins in all the classrooms. Paper only please. No food trays, plastic drink bottles, aluminum cans, trash, or glass.
· Shout out to conference organizer Taylor Martin, Mrs. Ellis, and the whole SGA chapter at L&N. They hosted an heroic workshop for east TN student councils that had a record 800 attendees yesterday at the Knoxville Convention Center. Tremendous example of our student leadership!
· Congrats to our two athletic college commitments this week – Graham Denton signed to swim for West Virginia Wesleyan and Alli Lapps will swim for George Washington University. Way to go Gryphons!
· Huge congratulations to all of our L&N orchestra and band students who performed in the Knoxville Symphony Youth Orchestra Fall Concert! Violins: Ella Marston, Clara Prinston, Kelty Oringderff, Gregory Croisdale, Rory Glatt, and Elliot Mills; Cello: Jack Baldwin; Bassoon: Marcus Lee; Percussion: Ruthanne Brock. The level of musical difficulty was tremendous and our students performed with absolute brilliance!
Also, congratulations to Charlsie Burnett (clarinet), Peyton Williams (trumpet), Daniel Eshleman (trombone), and Perry Hall (percussion) for being selected to perform in the 2015 Knox County Schools Honors Band! The performance is tonight at Central High School. 7pm, free!
· Prom tickets for the Junior/Senior Prom are now available for purchase during lunch. All tickets are $40 through November and December. Get your tickets now while the price is low.
Theme: A Red Carpet Romance; Location: Gettysvue Country Club
Date: April 23, 2016 ; Time: 7-11pm
· The L&N STEMpunks FRC Team 3966 are collecting socks for Socks for the Sox, a holiday outreach drive lead by the Evil Purple Sox FTC Team 8498. We need your help gathering socks to donate to our local Knoxville charity, and you can bring new and unused socks in the green recycling bin in the front office. We'll be collecting socks until December 4th, so please consider helping us give back to the community!
· Interested in writing a novel? Maybe you've already started one? November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Check out the website for the Young Writers Program and sign up here: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/. To celebrate and encourage participation, the Media Center will be open at 8 a.m. in the morning throughout November. Just think about what you could accomplish in just 1 hour a day for a month! Work alongside Mr. Crattie and Ms. Ellis as they work on their own novels.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Juniors: You can pick up a voucher to register for the next administration of the ACT during your lunch in the Commons area on Monday from Mrs. Salerno.
· Seniors who missed picking up your TN Promise packets can pick them up from the guidance office.
Quote of the day from Nelson Mandela:
Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is that we have power beyond measure.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)
2015 KYSO Fall Concert musicians from L&N