GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, November 2, 2015 – “M” classes
EARLY RELEASE SCHEDULE
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Our Aquatic Gryphons keep racking up the victories! This weekend they beat both Hardin Valley Academy and Farragut, setting them up to be the favorites for the City Championships! Go Gryphons!
· See reminder below about the Medic Blood Drive – going on all day today in room G006. If you normally have a class scheduled there on Mondays you need to check with your teacher for where you will be meeting today.
· The L&N STEMpunks FRC Team 3966 are collecting socks for Socks for the Sox, a holiday outreach drive lead by the Evil Purple Sox FTC Team 8498. We need your help gathering socks to donate to our local Knoxville charity, and you can bring new and unused socks in the green recycling bin in the front office. We'll be collecting socks until December 4th, so please consider helping us give back to the community!
· Special thanks again to all the students and teachers who volunteered and set up, worked, or cleaned up Friday night to make the Haunted Station a terrific success! We’ll definitely do it again next year!
· Attached is information and the permission form for our trip to the upcoming National Science & Engineering Festival 2016 in Washington, DC, this coming April 13-17, 2016. Ms. Jorgenson will also be taking a team of art honor society students to explore the wonderful (and free) art museums. See Ms. Ellis or Ms. Jorgenson to answer questions and collect deposits. There will be an informational meeting about the trip on TONIGHT, November 2 at 5:30 pm, with both of them available to answer questions (and collect deposits) from 5-6 pm. Deposits are due the next day, Tuesday, November 3, 2015. Also, if a parent wants to join us on the trip, there is a "Parent Traveler" form attached as well. Transportation and lodging for a parent is $410 (lunch/dinner on your own).
· Interested in writing a novel? Maybe you've already started one? November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Check out the website for the Young Writers Program and sign up here: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/. To celebrate and encourage participation, the Media Center will be open at 8 a.m. in the morning throughout November. Just think about what you could accomplish in just 1 hour a day for a month! Work alongside Mr. Crattie and Ms. Ellis as they work on their own novels.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· It’s time to be thinking about your entry in the PTA Reflections program. If you are talented in dance, film production, literature, music composition, photography or visual arts, consider entering this program. The deadline to apply is Friday, Nov. 6th by 4:30pm. The theme for the 2015-2016 school year is Let Your Imagination Fly. This theme—created by Rachel Sperry of Northwood, N.D.—was selected through the Reflections Theme Search Contest. When asked what inspired her theme, Rachel said, "I tell myself to let my imagination fly when writing and sketching." The theme helps Rachel to explore her imagination and she hopes it will inspire others to be creative. For more information or an entry form, contact Mrs. Morrell or Mrs. Jorgenson. Remember, the due dates for all entries is Nov. 6th by 4:30.
· TODAY you can support our school and help the community (and so can your parents!) at our annual MEDIC Blood Drive. Here’s a link to sign up for your donation time: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/60B0E4BADA623A20-fall1 The benefit structure has changed. We need at least 50 people (students, staff, and/or parents) to donate today and at least another 50 in the spring to get our $1000 donation like last year! We bought the Bose Sound System for the Depot building with last year’s check. Students, parents, and teachers, mark your calendars to give the "gift of life" and participate in our MEDIC blood drive on Monday, November 2.
Students 16 and over are eligible to participate. If you're 16 and at least 120 lbs you may donate with parental consent. (Please use the form attached or come pick one up from Ms. Ellis in the Media Center.) Seventeen year olds who weigh 110 lbs or more may participate as well and DO NOT need consent. EVERYONE donating blood must have ID with them as well as a list of medications if appropriate. Please encourage your parents to contribute as well during our blood drive. There will be a link to a sign up genius so you and your parents can make an appointment to donate. The school receives a cash donation if we reach a certain number. Please give!
· TN Promise will drop off books on November 10th from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the STEM Space. Students who plan to participate in the TN Promise proceedings will be given a 10 minute overview of the qualification process and mandatory attendance dates.
Quote of the day from Leonardo DaVinci:
Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)