GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, September 12, 2016 – “M” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Students in M3 Research lab (only): Today you need to eat 1st lunch. You will be walking to Lawson McGhee Library with your M3 teacher. Meet in your regular room following 1st lunch. Be sure to share with your classmates in case they didn’t read their email closely!
· On Tuesday, September 20, our PTSA has arranged for National Award Winning Author Matt de la Peña to talk to our school about the transformative nature of literature and the power of education. If you're interested in reading, one of his books, stop by the Media Center to pick up a copy. Mr. de la Peña is happy to sign your book if you want to bring your own copy on September 20th.
· All students: this is the last week to order Spirit Week shirts for your class to wear during our October challenge week. Get ready to show your school spirit by wearing your class colors and year! Cost is $20 and you can buy them any lunch in the Commons. Don’t miss out! If paying by check, make it payable to “L&N STEM Academy” and put your class year in the memo line.
· Tennessee Valley Fair Student Art Winners! Congratulations to Austin Bradley, who won Best of Show in the Student Art Exhibition at the fair. He will receive a $500 scholarship for his oil pastel drawing, "Sunsphere Series: Sunrise." Abigail Rumpp also won an honorable mention in the art competition. In the Congressional Medal of Honor Art Show congratulations go to our students who swept the Photography competition: Angel Quay for first place, Maddison Wright for second place, and Austin Bradley for third place. What a great representation of the talent at our school! Be sure to see the artwork displayed in the Jacobs Building during the fair.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Volunteers needed! The Helen Ross McNabb Center is gearing up for its biggest event of the year! The Knoxville Challenger Tennis Tournament will take place at the Goodfriend Indoor Tennis Complex at The University of Tennessee Sunday, November 6 - Sunday, November 13. This event brings professional players on the ATP Challenger Tour to Knoxville to play for $50,000 in prizes. Volunteers have the opportunity to pick the opportunity and date/time that works best for your schedule. Volunteer positions include towels, hospitality, parking and lot attendants, and ball person assistant. A light breakfast, lunch or dinner will be available for volunteers as well as a free event t-shirt for donating your time! Please click on the link to sign up! http://knoxchallenger.com/events/volunteer/
· These college representatives will be in town this week. Please see Mrs. Johnson in Guidance to sign up to meet with them:
· University of Alabama, Mon, 9/12, 12:15 in Guidance
· Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY, Wed, 9/14, 12:00
· Washington University, St Louis, MO, Wed, 9/14, 7:00 p.m. at the Hilton Hotel downtown at Church Ave
Quote of the day from Dale Carnegie:
Remember happiness doesn’t depend upon who you are or what you have; it depends solely on what you think.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school