GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, September 14, 2016 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Hey Class of 2019! Get excited for our first (and free) Sophomore Social! Come out Friday, Sept. 16 to a Movie Night on Market Square! Arrive around 7:00 – 7:30 pm and bring a chair or blanket. Look for your classmates to sit together and enjoy the movie! Hope to see you there!
· Interested in getting a little physical activity into your Monday early release hour? A student-led flag football program is looking to start on Monday, Sept 19 at 3:30. Anyone is welcome to join. Remember, this is not a school-sanctioned or school-run sport and students participate at your own risk. It is also played on the Worlds Fair Park, which is technically off campus, so if students participate, you cannot come back to ride a bus home on Mondays (sorry). Please visit this link to sign up for a team, or if you have any questions, please email the organizer at email@example.com .
· Are You Passionate About Computer Code? Join the 2016-17 L&N STEM’s CodeTN Team! The competition is a six month process where students work closely with their team, a tech pro, and teacher sponsor to plan, design, and code their own dynamic web application in the hope of winning $5000 for their school.
JOIN US by attending a sign up meeting this Thursday, 9/15, during first lunch in M052. You must let your Genius Hour teacher know that you are attending! See flyer at bottom of announcements.
· On Tuesday, September 20, our PTSA has arranged for National Award Winning Author Matt de la Peña to talk to our school about the transformative nature of literature and the power of education. If you're interested in reading, one of his books, stop by the Media Center to pick up a copy. Mr. de la Peña is happy to sign your book if you want to bring your own copy on September 20th.
· All students: this is the last week to order Spirit Week shirts for your class to wear during our October challenge week. Get ready to show your school spirit by wearing your class colors and year! Cost is $20 and you can buy them any lunch in the Commons. Don’t miss out! If paying by check, make it payable to “L&N STEM Academy” and put your class year in the memo line.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Volunteers needed! The Helen Ross McNabb Center is gearing up for its biggest event of the year! The Knoxville Challenger Tennis Tournament will take place at the Goodfriend Indoor Tennis Complex at The University of Tennessee Sunday, November 6 - Sunday, November 13. This event brings professional players on the ATP Challenger Tour to Knoxville to play for $50,000 in prizes. Volunteers have the opportunity to pick the opportunity and date/time that works best for your schedule. Volunteer positions include towels, hospitality, parking and lot attendants, and ball person assistant. A light breakfast, lunch or dinner will be available for volunteers as well as a free event t-shirt for donating your time! Please click on the link to sign up! http://knoxchallenger.com/events/volunteer/
· These college representatives will be in town this week. Please see Mrs. Johnson in Guidance to sign up to meet with them:
· Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY, Wed, 9/14, 12:00
· Washington University, St Louis, MO, Wed, 9/14, 7:00 p.m. at the Hilton Hotel downtown at Church Ave
Quote of the day from Gandhi:
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school