GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, September 8, 2016 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· STUDENT DRIVERS: Be aware that the KMA lot will be closed to students to park today (Thursday, 9/8). You will need to plan to park along Grand Avenue or in one of the Blackstock lots due to an event being held at the Foundry. Thank you for helping us be good downtown neighbors!
· Tennessee Valley Fair Student Art Winners! Congratulations to Austin Bradley, who won Best of Show in the Student Art Exhibition at the fair. He will receive a $500 scholarship for his oil pastel drawing, "Sunsphere Series: Sunrise." Abigail Rumpp also won an honorable mention in the art competition. In the Congressional Medal of Honor Art Show congratulations go to our students who swept the Photography competition: Angel Quay for first place, Maddison Wright for second place, and Austin Bradley for third place. What a great representation of the talent at our school! Be sure to see the artwork displayed in the Jacobs Building during the fair.
· ATTENTION GRYPHONS! Class t-shirts for color wars are now on sale in the commons before school and during lunch! Don't miss your chance to buy them at $18, prices go up THIS Friday to $20! Last day to buy is Sept 16th!
· Are you interested in pursuing a career in mathematics? Do you love math? Mu Alpha Theta is a national organization that inspires keen interest in mathematics, develops strong scholarship, and promotes the enjoyment of mathematics. Among other things, Mu Alpha Theta tutors students in all levels of math throughout the year and actively competes in national contests. Students interested in joining need to have completed one math class, Algebra I, (along with current enrollment in a second math class) with a GPA of at least 3.25 with respect to their math courses. Anyone interested in joining should contact Mr. Mark Waxmonsky (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Community & Guidance Ops:
· All students in 9 – 11th grades! Sign up now to take the PSAT here at school on Wed, Oct 19. The fee is $20 and financial assistance is available for anyone who cannot pay --email email@example.com if needed. Registration deadline is this Friday, September 9th. Registration forms and money can be turned in to Mrs. Johnson in Guidance.
· These college representatives will be in town next week. Please see Mrs. Johnson in Guidance to sign up to meet with them:
· University of Alabama, Mon, 9/12, 12:15 in Guidance
· Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY, Wed, 9/14, 12:00
· Washington University, St Louis, MO, Wed, 9/14, 7:00 p.m. at the Hilton Hotel downtown at Church Ave
Quote of the day from Byron Pulsifer:
If everything in life was easy there would be no need for dedication, perseverance, or commitment.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school