GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, September 21, 2016 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· P.A.K. (Planned Acts of Kindness) has started a canned food drive for Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee that will run until 9/30/16. We have a barrel that is located in the front office lobby to drop off non-perishable canned goods. Join with us in the spirit of kindness and bring a can or two. Every little bit makes a difference!
· Gryphons just keep piling up the awards! Big congrats to Jolie Fogel for earning a Soprano 2 spot in the All East Women's Honor Choir and to Katie Davis for being selected as an Alto 1 Alternate for the Mixed Honor Choir. The event will occur November 17-19 at Maryville College with other high school choir students from all over East Tennessee (this was out of over 700 students who auditioned!). Shout out to our choral teacher Mrs. Philips for getting them ready!
· In sports news – well done to the Golfing Gryphons – our Mens’ team is District CHAMPIONS and our Women’s team finished Third place. This qualifies both teams to move on to Regional tournament. Reece Walker finished 2nd place overall by 1 stroke with a 75. Abbey Morgan finished 4th overall. Great job teams and Coach Waxmonsky!
· Students, parents, and teachers, mark your calendars to give the "gift of life" and participate in our MEDIC blood drive on Wednesday, October 5th. Students 16 and over are eligible to participate. If you're 16 and 120 lbs you may donate with parental consent. (Please use this form or come pick one up from Ms. Ellis in the Media Center.) Seventeen year olds who weigh 110 lbs or more may participate as well and DO NOT need consent.
Note: EVERYONE donating blood must have ID with them as well as a list of medications if appropriate. Please encourage your family and friends to contribute as well during our blood drive. By donating blood, you'll be helping our community, as well as our school, because MEDIC donates money to our school for each pint of blood collected.
Here is the form to fill out and bring with you to donate. Please click on this link to sign up to donate blood.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· College representatives! The following reps will be here next week. Email email@example.com or check in with guidance to sign up:
o Tennessee State University, Nashville, Wed, 9/21, 9:00 a.m.
o Davidson College, Davidson, NC, Thurs, 9/22, 3:00 p.m.
· Volunteers needed! The Helen Ross McNabb Center is gearing up for its biggest event of the year! The Knoxville Challenger Tennis Tournament will take place at the Goodfriend Indoor Tennis Complex at The University of Tennessee Sunday, November 6 - Sunday, November 13. This event brings professional players on the ATP Challenger Tour to Knoxville to play for $50,000 in prizes. Volunteers have the opportunity to pick the opportunity and date/time that works best for your schedule. Volunteer positions include towels, hospitality, parking and lot attendants, and ball person assistant. A light breakfast, lunch or dinner will be available for volunteers as well as a free event t-shirt for donating your time! Please click on the link to sign up! http://knoxchallenger.com/events/volunteer/
Quote of the day from Christopher Reeve:
Once you choose hope, anything’s possible.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school