GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, September 16, 2016 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· In Advisory today you will receive a consent packet for the Get Fruved research project – an effort in collaboration with UT to provide our student with the ability to participate and engage in health research on our campus. L&N students who bring the consent form back signed by their parents will be eligible to take a brief survey and win prizes! Turn in to the office or Dr. Bretscher.
· Announcing the launch of a new program at STEM – the Gryphon Global Studies initiative. This is a combination of opportunities for students to go abroad while at the L&N and also to work online with students from around the world. See more at this link.
· Students, parents, and teachers, mark your calendars to give the "gift of life" and participate in our MEDIC blood drive on Wednesday, October 5th. Students 16 and over are eligible to participate. If you're 16 and 120 lbs you may donate with parental consent. (Please use this form or come pick one up from Ms. Ellis in the Media Center.) Seventeen year olds who weigh 110 lbs or more may participate as well and DO NOT need consent.
Note: EVERYONE donating blood must have ID with them as well as a list of medications if appropriate. Please encourage your family and friends to contribute as well during our blood drive. By donating blood, you'll be helping our community, as well as our school, because MEDIC donates money to our school for each pint of blood collected.
Here is the form to fill out and bring with you to donate. Please click on this link to sign up to donate blood.
· The Gryphon Coffee Nook is now offering HOT TEA for $1 in addition to our standard coffee, and our specialty drinks ($1.50) hot chocolate, caramel apple cider, and vanilla and hazelnut cappuccinos. If we're not set up in the Commons, look for us in the Library. All proceeds from the coffee cart help support our L&N STEM Academy Library.
· Hey Class of 2019! Get excited for our first (and free) Sophomore Social! Come out Friday, Sept. 16 to a Movie Night on Market Square! Arrive around 7:00 – 7:30 pm and bring a chair or blanket. Look for your classmates to sit together and enjoy the movie! Hope to see you there!
· Interested in getting a little physical activity into your Monday early release hour? A student-led flag football program is looking to start on Monday, Sept 19 at 3:30. Anyone is welcome to join. Remember, this is not a school-sanctioned or school-run sport and students participate at your own risk. It is also played on the Worlds Fair Park, which is technically off campus, so if students participate, you cannot come back to ride a bus home on Mondays (sorry). Please visit this link to sign up for a team, or if you have any questions, please email the organizer at email@example.com .
· On Tuesday, September 20, our PTSA has arranged for National Award Winning Author Matt de la Peña to talk to our school about the transformative nature of literature and the power of education. If you're interested in reading, one of his books, stop by the Media Center to pick up a copy. Mr. de la Peña is happy to sign your book if you want to bring your own copy on September 20th.
· All students: TODAY IS THE LAST DAY to order Spirit Week shirts for your class to wear during our October challenge week. Get ready to show your school spirit by wearing your class colors and year! Cost is $20 and you can buy them any lunch in the Commons. Don’t miss out! If paying by check, make it payable to “L&N STEM Academy” and put your class year in the memo line.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· College representatives! The following reps will be here next week. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or check in with guidance to sign up:
o Tennessee State University, Nashville, Wed, 9/21, 9:00 a.m.
o Davidson College, Davidson, NC, Thurs, 9/22, 3:00 p.m.
· Volunteers needed! The Helen Ross McNabb Center is gearing up for its biggest event of the year! The Knoxville Challenger Tennis Tournament will take place at the Goodfriend Indoor Tennis Complex at The University of Tennessee Sunday, November 6 - Sunday, November 13. This event brings professional players on the ATP Challenger Tour to Knoxville to play for $50,000 in prizes. Volunteers have the opportunity to pick the opportunity and date/time that works best for your schedule. Volunteer positions include towels, hospitality, parking and lot attendants, and ball person assistant. A light breakfast, lunch or dinner will be available for volunteers as well as a free event t-shirt for donating your time! Please click on the link to sign up! http://knoxchallenger.com/events/volunteer/
Quote of the day from Abraham Lincoln:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school