GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, December 16, 2016 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
N3 and N4 Midterm Exams today
· Congratulations to the Senior Superlatives for the Class of 2017! Following a student nomination and voting period, the following were chosen by their peers:
o Gryphon of Merit: Jacob Samar and Emily Bretscher
o The Professional: Cameron Johnson and Abigail Morgan
o The Innovator: Daniel Bueckman and Julia Pavon
o The Collaborator: Kishan Tailor and Erin Bennett
o The Inquirer: Paul Schwarzentraub and Cat Long
o The Critical Thinker: Chase Compton and Sydney Fuhrig
o The Designer: Austin Bradley and Emily Chapin
· Freshmen, make plans to join your class social at Jump Jam on Wednesday, Dec 21st from 6:00 -7:00 p.m.! The cost is $10. Stop by the table in the Commons at all three lunches and before school to pay and pick up a form you must have signed and bring with you to Jump Jam. Go Class of 2020!
· Did you remember to have parents sign your mid-term exam dismissal slip? TODAY is the last day to return your dismissal slip or you won’t be able to leave on half days Tuesday and Wednesday!
· Happy holidays from SGA! Next week, SGA will be delivering candy grams and holiday cards to your Friday advisory! For $1 you can send a candy cane to one of your friends, and for $2 you can send a holiday card! Send both for just $2.50! You can also get a $5 ticket to the Friday Holiday Advisory where we will be providing snacks, drinks, and playing The Polar Express! Come to the commons during lunch to get in on these hot holiday offers!"
· It’s here! The last day of Winter Wonder Week sponsored by the SGA. Friday’s theme is: Holiday Movie Character Day: Students dress up as characters from their favorite holiday movie. Don’t forget to stop at the Snow shower of Kindness in the ground floor Depot hallway. Share good thoughts with classmates!
· Last days for the cheapest price they will be this year! Prom committee is selling single prom tickets in the commons for $40 now through December 21st. Don’t wait, after Winter Break the prices go up!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 8/9 online score reports are now available to students. Visit psat.org/scorereport to see yours today! Videos, presentations, and other resources have been posted on the School Counseling page of STEM's website under the "Test Prep and Test Info" tab on the left side of the screen. Resources for the PSAT/NMSQT can also be accessed directly by visiting: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10. Resources for the PSAT 8/9 can be accessed here: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-8-9/scores. Paper copies of scores will be distributed to students during lunch as the school receives them. Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions after exploring these resources.
· ACT invites students to join them for a free online event to help prepare for the ACT– a live session covering all four subject areas on the ACT test. ACT expert instructors will outline the most commonly tested concepts on the ACT and provide an overview of the powerful interactive instruction available through ACT®Kaplan® Online Prep Live. Students may bookmark this page: http://onlinepreplive.com/ and plan on joining ACT on the above date. If they can’t make the live event, check back later for a free on-demand recording of the presentation.
Quote of the day from Woodrow Wilson:
You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school
Mid-term Exam and end of semester schedule:
• Exams/ last day to meet N3 & N4 - Fri, Dec 16
• Exams/ last day to meet M1, 2, 3, 4, Monday, Dec 19
• Only meet L1 & L2 - Tues, Dec 20 - dismiss at 12:36 p.m. (with permission). Limited breakfast and lunch service.
• Only meet N1 & N2 - Wed, Dec 21 - dismiss at 12:36 p.m. (with permission). Limited breakfast and lunch service.
• Make-up day - Thurs, Dec 22 – only students with appointments to make up work should be here on 12/22. No cafeteria service at all.