For Thursday, May 2, 2013
"L" Schedule Day
ACADEMIC PUSH PERIOD
· Some notes about testing - beginning next week. Please read all the way through. Last Learning Labs this year today and tomorrow. Friday will be the last before school session in the STEM space in the Depot since final exam period is beginning. See the attachment about the whole spring testing schedule. We'll be reminding you where testing rooms are. Be sure to read announcements daily! Be prepared for your tests to do your best - remember, they count 25% of your total grade for each course!! Come prepared each day with a good sleep for your brain, some breakfast for your stomach (and brain), at least two #2 lead pencils, and appropriate calculators for math tests. You will also want to bring a book to read or something else quiet to work on that doesn't require your cell phone or iPad for when you finish your test before others. You will NOT be allowed to open either for the whole testing period - even after you're finished with your test - until all tests are taken up in your room!
· If you play (or are planning to play a school sport): KOC is offering sports physicals for the 2013-2014 school year for $10 on May 4 at Thompson-Boling Arena. All school students on sports teams must have a physical to participate each year. See your coach to get the appropriate physical forms or come to the office. Go to http://www.kocortho.com/smo_physicals.asp for more information.
· It's not too late - you can still buy dance tickets! Please plan on coming and supporting our SGA as they raise funds for fun class/school projects for next year - its the Cinco de Mayo Dance on Saturday, May 4th, 7pm-10pm. The attire for this occasion is nice casual - semi formal (no jeans), OR you can dress Cinco de Mayo style. The cost is $6 for single and $10 for a couple. Be sure to pick up a guest application if you're bringing someone from another school. We will serve "Mock"arita drinks and other food.
Interested in traveling abroad over Spring Break 2014? Have you always dreamed of visiting France, Ireland, Italy, or England? If so, come to the interest meeting on May 10th at 8:45 in Room 214. We will discuss where we want to travel, the cost, and what you need to do now to prepare for a trip of a lifetime! Parents are welcome on this trip, too. Get details from your student!
Brown Bags: RSVP to Mr. Smith – you MUST email or check in with your Advisory teacher to attend any Brown Bag event. Attendance will be taken!
· Friday, May 3– Angie Cannon, Cannon & Cannon, Inc., will discuss what the field of engineering means to Knoxville and the ins & outs of owning your engineering firm. Girls especially are encouraged to attend!
· ACT Question of the day http://www.act.org/qotd/
· Summer School info – applications available online now. Click on “guidance” tab on our website for more info.
· If you’re filling out testing or college paperwork, our school’s CEEB code is 431118. See Mrs. Salerno or the Guidance page on our web site for more.
· Chess Club meets on Wednesdays from 8:45 to 9:15 a.m. in the media center.
· Gryphon Studios, film club, on Thursday afternoons 4:45 – 6:00 PM, in Room 214 in the Station.
· Teens for Christ: Mondays from 8:45 – 9:15 in D113.
· Young Life: Wednesdays from 8:45 – 9:15 in the Mezzanine.
· Venture Club (STEM career post of scouting) meets Thursdays from 5:30 – 7:00 in room 202.
· Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) meets every Friday during 2nd lunch in room 222. This group is about spreading tolerance of diversity in all its forms - all are welcome.
· Peer study group meets every Tuesday from 5:00 – 7:30 at the Lawson McGhee library (downtown branch).
Quote of the day from Thomas Edison,
Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism