For Friday, October 10, 2014
“L” Day Classes
EARLY RELEASE SCHEDULE
· Over break please go to http://tnscore.org/students-rise-to-the-challenge-facebook-poll-to-choose-scholarship-finalists-2/ and vote for either Samantha Smith’s or Lorna Treffert’s videos. They are both finalists for the Score Scholarship prize. Deadline for voting is next Wednesday. Its on Facebook so you’ll have to do it at home, not on the school’s network. Vote often!
· Lost: glasses in a dark blue hard shell case. The glasses’ frames look like they are carved from wood. Please turn in to the office.
· Way to go to our Scholar’s Bowl team, who won their first round yesterday against Pigeon Forge and then lost to Morristown East. Watch for their TV debut later this fall on a local channel. On our team is Chloe Armstrong, Chase Compton, Justin Cross, Gareth Frymier, Cole McElmurray, Jacob Samar, and Kishan Tailor. Way to represent, Gryphons!
· Photographers will be here for yearbook make-up photos on October 16. You must have order envelope filled out for all pictures for proper identification in the yearbook. If you choose to order, you need payment to turn in when they take your picture. Order envelopes are in the front office. Stop by and pick one up if needed.
· L & N STEM 3rd annual school-wide National History Day competition will be January 30, 2015. It is time to mark your calendar now and begin work on a project for the topic "Leadership and Legacy in History" . You are welcome to compete even if your teacher does not require a project! The website for National History Day has all the details. See Mrs. Robbins if you have questions.
Opportunities to be active:
· The Knoxville Football Club (soccer) is proud to announce the inaugural “Crush 4K” that will take place on November 8th at Lakeshore Park. The aim of this race is to provide a great opportunity for our players, parents, friends, and the running community of Knoxville to support the Knoxville Football Club in their effort to promote fitness, a healthy lifestyle, and support this non-profit club in their goal of raising funds. For more information go to http://www.knoxvillefootballclub.org/home/837869.html
· Volunteers are being sought for next spring’s Llama Races to be held again in World’s Fair Park. Many positions are available and they are seeking volunteers. Call 865-690-3323, or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
From the Guidance Office:
· College recruiter visits, sign up with Mrs. Johnson in guidance ahead of time:
o Thurs, 10/16 at 12:15 - University of Tennessee Knoxville
· All seniors are encouraged to sign up for TN Promise (even as a backup plan). It sends the message to ourselves and our community that the expectation is that every single graduate will be going to post-secondary schooling of some kind. Deadline is Nov 1 to sign up. Find more information at http://tnpromise.gov
Clubs and reminders:
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Students are invited to submit their work to email@example.com
· Every summer has it's story... and we want to hear yours! Please send in your fun filled summer photos and what you did to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be in the Yearbook! Also, if you worked or volunteered over the summer, please email email@example.com a description of what you did and some awesome photos.
· An organization that promotes aviation safety and youth in aviation, the EAA, is hosting a banquet with an extremely accomplished astronaut and aviator, Robert “Hoot” Gibson on Saturday, November 15 at noon. He’s flown the space shuttle 5 times as either crew or commander, raced at Reno, and had over 300 “traps” – the term for landing on a carrier where the tailhook has to trap an arresting cable or the plane and pilot go swimming.
o Doors open at 11:30 AM
o Where: Buddy’s Bearden Banquet Hall
o 5806 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919
o Cost: $24.00 Adults, $20.00 18 and under.
o Click here to register
o Door prizes, including a ride in Waco Bi-plane
Quote of the day from G. K. Nielson
Successful people are not gifted; they just work hard, then succeed on purpose.
Have a safe and enjoyable fall break!
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)