For Wednesday, October 22, 2014
“L” Day Classes
· Big congrats to the following student and coach who all made L&N history by being the first all-district athletes and first coach of they year – Abbey Morgan, Jacob Samar, Nick Barnard were named to the All-District Golf teams (girls & boys, respectively), Chris Kleinschmidt was named District MVP, and Coach Waxomsky was named boys’ golf coach of the year! Way to go and congratulations to all of you!!
· Sophomores and Seniors – if you missed Josten’s yesterday at lunch make note – they will be back for last chance deposits on Monday, Oct 27!
· Are you a high school girl interested in learning more about engineering? If so, come spend the day with us, the Society of Women Engineers! Join us at UT for "Tomorrow's Engineers Today ," on Nov 8th from 9AM-3PM for a day full of engineering experiments, learning about the profession, and talking with students and professionals. Registration is open until Oct 24th http://tet-fall-2014.eventbrite.com . Please contact email@example.com or the Women in STEM group here at school for more information!
· Spirit week is next week! Starts this Friday with a Pink out! Buy your dance tickets for the “Light the Night” dance on Saturday, Nov 1, from 7:00 – 10:00 in our Commons. Tickets on sale at lunch everyday, $8 for single, $14 for couple. ALSO – support your class by buying spirit links at lunch, they are 25 cents each. All monies go towards your class graduation fees. Length of chains will factor into spirit week winning class competition. Support your class!
· Quick! What's the name given to a hypothetical faster-than-light particle? If you answered "tachyon," you might have what it takes to a member of the first L&N Science Bowl team! What's involved? Participants will meet during Genius Hour during the 2nd quarter, and a team of 5 students will compete at the Tennessee Regional Science Bowl on Saturday, February 28, 2015. We need students who are knowledgeable in the fields of physics, biology, chemistry, geology, astronomy, and mathematics. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to declare your interest!
· Any student interested in joining the Track & Field team should plan on attending an informational meeting on Thursday, October 23, after school in the commons. Anyone who cannot attend should send an email to email@example.com. Conditioning starts very soon!
· L & N STEM 3rd annual school-wide National History Day competition will be January 30, 2015. It is time to mark your calendar now and begin work on a project for the topic "Leadership and Legacy in History" . You are welcome to compete even if your teacher does not require a project! The website for National History Day has all the details. See Mrs. Robbins if you have questions.
Opportunities to be active:
· The Knoxville Football Club (soccer) is proud to announce the inaugural “Crush 4K” that will take place on November 8th at Lakeshore Park. The aim of this race is to provide a great opportunity for our players, parents, friends, and the running community of Knoxville to support the Knoxville Football Club in their effort to promote fitness, a healthy lifestyle, and support this non-profit club in their goal of raising funds. For more information go to http://www.knoxvillefootballclub.org/home/837869.html
· Volunteers are being sought for next spring’s Llama Races to be held again in World’s Fair Park. Many positions are available and they are seeking volunteers. Call 865-690-3323, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
From the Guidance Office:
· Check out professional network LinkedIn’s “decision board” feature. It helps with finding the perfect college or university for you! Go here to find out more.
· All seniors are encouraged to sign up for TN Promise (even as a backup plan). It sends the message to ourselves and our community that the expectation is that every single graduate will be going to post-secondary schooling of some kind. Deadline is Nov 1 to sign up. Find more information at http://tnpromise.gov
Clubs and reminders:
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Every summer has it's story... and we want to hear yours! Please send in your fun filled summer photos and what you did to email@example.com for a chance to be in the Yearbook! Also, if you worked or volunteered over the summer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org a description of what you did and some awesome photos.
· An organization that promotes aviation safety and youth in aviation, the EAA, is hosting a banquet with an extremely accomplished astronaut and aviator, Robert “Hoot” Gibson on Saturday, November 15 at noon. He’s flown the space shuttle 5 times as either crew or commander, raced at Reno, and had over 300 “traps” – the term for landing on a carrier where the tailhook has to trap an arresting cable or the plane and pilot go swimming.
o Doors open at 11:30 AM
o Where: Buddy’s Bearden Banquet Hall
o 5806 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919
o Cost: $24.00 Adults, $20.00 18 and under.
o Click here to register
o Door prizes, including a ride in Waco Bi-plane
Quote of the day from Carl Jung
I am not what has happened to me. I am what I choose to become.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)