For Tuesday, October 28, 2014
“N” Day Classes
Special Schedule today due to Spirit Week!
· Don’t forget to buy your ticket for this Friday’s Trunk or Treat sponsored by the National Honor Society. For $3 you’ll get a ticket that will allow you to “trick or treat” from teachers during your lunch hour on Friday.
· Interested in a future career in journalism or communications? Curious about connecting these interests to a STEM field, like chemistry? The Women in STEM group here at the L&N is excited to announce the first guest speaker for our brown bag series this year — Dr. Rachel Rui, from the Chemistry Department at UT! Come join us for her talk and Q&A session during Wednesday’s Genius Hour in Rm202 during 2nd/3rd lunch. Students will sign in so you’ll be counted present at a Genius Hour activity on this date.
· Last night’s launch got rescheduled to tonight. Catch our experiment going to the ISS – lift off at 6:22 p.m. tonight! Go here http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#.VE5FKOd9m8s to view.
· Our robotics team, the L&N STEMpunks, competed this weekend at an invitational in Kentucky and was even selected for semi-finals! Way to go! They’ll also be at the upcoming PTSA Fall Festival and in the Veteran’s Day Parade with a float representing the school. If you’re interested in joining the team, please contact Ms. Cheng (email@example.com).
· More Gryphons have been in the news! Several students and our robotics team who attended Engineers' Day last week were featured http://www.wbir.com/videos/news/local/schwall/2014/10/23/15986124/
· Spirit week is here – plan to participate every day!
o Tuesday – pep rally and class color war day
o Wednesday – Twin Day
o Thursday – Throwback Thursday
o Friday –Fandom Friday – be a fan girl/boy for the day!
Buy your dance tickets for the “Light the Night” dance on Saturday, Nov 1, from 7:00 – 10:00 in our Commons. Tickets on sale at lunch everyday, $8 for single, $14 for couple. ALSO – support your class by buying spirit links at lunch, they are 25 cents each. All monies go towards your class graduation fees. Length of chains will factor into spirit week winning class competition. Support your class!
· L & N STEM 3rd annual school-wide National History Day competition will be January 30, 2015. It is time to mark your calendar now and begin work on a project for the topic "Leadership and Legacy in History" . You are welcome to compete even if your teacher does not require a project! The website for National History Day has all the details. See Mrs. Robbins if you have questions.
Opportunities to be active:
· The Knoxville Football Club (soccer) is proud to announce the inaugural “Crush 4K” that will take place on November 8th at Lakeshore Park. The aim of this race is to provide a great opportunity for our players, parents, friends, and the running community of Knoxville to support the Knoxville Football Club in their effort to promote fitness, a healthy lifestyle, and support this non-profit club in their goal of raising funds. For more information go to http://www.knoxvillefootballclub.org/home/837869.html
· Volunteers are being sought for next spring’s Llama Races to be held again in World’s Fair Park. Many positions are available and they are seeking volunteers. Call 865-690-3323, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
From the Guidance Office:
· All seniors are encouraged to sign up for TN Promise (even as a backup plan). Deadline is Nov 1 to sign up. Find more information at http://tnpromise.gov
Clubs and reminders:
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Every summer has it's story... and we want to hear yours! Please send in your fun filled summer photos and what you did to email@example.com for a chance to be in the Yearbook! Also, if you worked or volunteered over the summer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org a description of what you did and some awesome photos.
1st – 9:30 – 10:25
2nd – 10:30 – 11:25
3rd – 11:30 – 12:20
1st lunch 12:20 – 12:45
2nd lunch 12:45 – 1:10
3rd lunch 1:10 – 1:35
4th – 1:35 – 2:30
Pep rally – everyone will leave your bags, etc. in your 4th period classroom and walk together over to the Amphitheater. You’ll sit by class (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) to participate in the pep rally recognitions and games. Show your spirit but remember to be professional!
Quote of the day from Jonathan Fields:
The enemy of creation is not uncertainty; it’s inertia.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)