For Monday, October 20, 2014
“L” Day Classes
· Spirit week is next week! Starts this Friday with a Pink out! Buy your dance tickets for the “Light the Night” dance on Saturday, Nov 1, from 7:00 – 10:00 in our Commons. Tickets on sale at lunch everyday, $8 for single, $14 for couple.
· FYI – school tours are beginning. To those who have been here, you’re used to it; to those who are new to the school, you’ll get used to it! Just heads up that we have prospective student tours this week and also a group of principals from other schools on Monday and a group of community partners on Tuesday. All you need to know is to be polite and feel free to talk to them if they ask questions. Don’t stop what you’re doing in class, just pretend they’re not there if your teacher is talking.
· Congratulations to Lorna Treffert, who is one of two high school state finalists for the SCORE Rise to the Challenge video contest. Thanks to all her voted for her and fellow senior Samantha Smith, who was also in the running to be a finalist. Good luck Lorna – way to represent!
· Please see the survey linked here https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PXXMBSR for a D3 group’s project on a cycling club and bike rack here at the L&N.
· Quick! What's the name given to a hypothetical faster-than-light particle? If you answered "tachyon," you might have what it takes to a member of the first L&N Science Bowl team! What's involved? Participants will meet during Genius Hour during the 2nd quarter, and a team of 5 students will compete at the Tennessee Regional Science Bowl on Saturday, February 28, 2015. We need students who are knowledgeable in the fields of physics, biology, chemistry, geology, astronomy, and mathematics. Email email@example.com to declare your interest!
· Any student interested in joining the Track & Field team should plan on attending an informational meeting on Thursday, October 23, after school in the commons. Anyone who cannot attend should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Conditioning starts very soon!
· L & N STEM 3rd annual school-wide National History Day competition will be January 30, 2015. It is time to mark your calendar now and begin work on a project for the topic "Leadership and Legacy in History" . You are welcome to compete even if your teacher does not require a project! The website for National History Day has all the details. See Mrs. Robbins if you have questions.
Opportunities to be active:
· The Knoxville Football Club (soccer) is proud to announce the inaugural “Crush 4K” that will take place on November 8th at Lakeshore Park. The aim of this race is to provide a great opportunity for our players, parents, friends, and the running community of Knoxville to support the Knoxville Football Club in their effort to promote fitness, a healthy lifestyle, and support this non-profit club in their goal of raising funds. For more information go to http://www.knoxvillefootballclub.org/home/837869.html
· Volunteers are being sought for next spring’s Llama Races to be held again in World’s Fair Park. Many positions are available and they are seeking volunteers. Call 865-690-3323, or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
From the Guidance Office:
· Check out professional network LinkedIn’s “decision board” feature. It helps with finding the perfect college or university for you! Go here to find out more.
· All seniors are encouraged to sign up for TN Promise (even as a backup plan). It sends the message to ourselves and our community that the expectation is that every single graduate will be going to post-secondary schooling of some kind. Deadline is Nov 1 to sign up. Find more information at http://tnpromise.gov
Clubs and reminders:
· The eLemeNtal Literary Magazine: Access our e-publication here: http://www.lntole.com/featured-student.html Want to be featured or included in the next issue? Next issue’s theme is “Winter Wonderland”. Students are invited to submit their work to email@example.com
· Every summer has it's story... and we want to hear yours! Please send in your fun filled summer photos and what you did to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be in the Yearbook! Also, if you worked or volunteered over the summer, please email email@example.com a description of what you did and some awesome photos.
· An organization that promotes aviation safety and youth in aviation, the EAA, is hosting a banquet with an extremely accomplished astronaut and aviator, Robert “Hoot” Gibson on Saturday, November 15 at noon. He’s flown the space shuttle 5 times as either crew or commander, raced at Reno, and had over 300 “traps” – the term for landing on a carrier where the tailhook has to trap an arresting cable or the plane and pilot go swimming.
o Doors open at 11:30 AM
o Where: Buddy’s Bearden Banquet Hall
o 5806 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919
o Cost: $24.00 Adults, $20.00 18 and under.
o Click here to register
o Door prizes, including a ride in Waco Bi-plane
Quote of the day from Pablo Picasso
Everything you can imagine is real.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2014)