GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, October 15, 2015 – “L” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Good luck today to our cross country team as they race in the KIL Championships this afternoon! Go Runnin’ Gryphons! Runners will be dismissed to leave today at 3:15 for the race.
· If you have a Josten’s order and are attending Latin Day today, don’t fret! Josten’s reps will be back next Tuesday, Oct 20, to collect more orders at lunch. Plan to see them either today or Tuesday!
· Plan ahead for spirit week coming up! Here are the daily themes/activities please plan to take part:
o Friday, 10/16 – Pink Out Day – to honor Breast Cancer awareness month
o Monday, 10/19 – Class Color Wars – wear the color representing your class for the pep rally and football game: 9th grade = red, 10th = blue, 11th = green, seniors = yellow
o Tuesday, 10/20 - Tropical Tuesday
o Wed., 10/21 – Way back Wednesday, any previous decade
o Thurs, 10/22 - Hoe down Throwdown – country!
o Fri, 10/23 – Dynamic Duo
o Sat, 10/24 – Fall Dance, 7:00 – 10:00 in the Commons
· Congrats to our newest military enlistee – Danielle Waller took the oath to enlist in the Army last week! Picture below.
· Best wishes to our newly elected freshmen SGA officers! All candidates ran great campaigns, we’re glad to see such interest in representing your peers. Congrats to: President: Walker Lee, Vice President: Marcus Lee, Secretary: Kelsey Bledsoe , and Treasurer: Mike Cho
· Quick, what's the name given to a compartmentalized structure formed by a phospholipid membrane, or to an electrolytic solution containing electrodes with different potentials? If you answered "cell," you might have what it takes to be a member of the L&N Science Bowl team! What's involved? Participants will meet for weekly practices, and a team of 5 will compete at the Tennessee Regional Science Bowl on February 26-27. Email email@example.com to declare your interest today!
· Tickets for our fall dance on October 24, 7:00 – 10:00 p.m. here at the school are on sale now for $8/single or $14/couple in the Commons. Can pay with cash or check made out to L&N STEM Academy (put “fall dance” in the memo line).
· Attached is the information/field trip permission form for our trip to the upcoming National Science & Engineering Festival 2016 in Washington, DC, this coming April 13-17, 2016. Information has been emailed to students. Ms. Jorgenson will also be taking a team of art honor society students to explore the wonderful (and free) art museums. There will be a student meeting in the Media Center at 9 a.m. Thursday, October 15, and in the Art Room, Friday, October 16. On Parent Conference night Ms. Ellis and Ms. Jorgenson will be available to answer questions and collect deposits (due November 3, 2015). (The deadline was extended to help with deposit payment.) For more information, see http://www.usasciencefestival.org.
· Have you heard? Our PTSA is having a STEM Haunted House for kids K - 8 on Friday, October 30. Get with your club or organization and sponsor a room/activity! You can use your time to count for service hours, have some fun, and help our PTSA raise money to support activities for you! See Dr. Bretscher or Mrs. Ellis for more details to get involved!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Need community service hours? Open Streets Knoxville is happening Sunday, Oct 25th from 1 - 4 p.m., and we need a LOT of volunteers to make it a success. Volunteers will get a free Open Streets Knoxville t-shirt. Go here to find out more http://openstreetsknoxville.com/ or here to sign up: https://www.volunteersignup.org/TJ9LE
· TN Promise will drop off books on November 10th from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the STEM Space. Students who plan to participate in the TN Promise proceedings will be given a 10 minute overview of the qualification process and mandatory attendance dates.
Quote of the day from Ralph Waldo Emerson:
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)
Danielle Waller at her enlistment ceremony