GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, October 16, 2015 – “N” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Josten’s will be back next Tuesday, Oct 20, at lunch to collect any more orders and deposits for class rings and graduation supplies.
· Plan ahead for spirit week coming up! Here are the daily themes/activities please plan to take part:
o Friday, 10/16 – Pink Out Day – to honor Breast Cancer awareness month
o Monday, 10/19 – Class Color Wars – wear the color representing your class for the pep rally and football game: 9th grade = red, 10th = blue, 11th = green, seniors = yellow
o Tuesday, 10/20 - Tropical Tuesday
o Wed., 10/21 – Way back Wednesday, any previous decade
o Thurs, 10/22 - Hoe down Throwdown – country!
o Fri, 10/23 – Dynamic Duo
o Sat, 10/24 – Fall Dance, 7:00 – 10:00 in the Commons
· Here’s the schedule for Monday, which is slightly altered so we can have the rally. For those of you new, you will walk to the Amphitheater and sit with your class in sections. We recognize academic achievers and fall sports team members. The SGA has some class competition games. It’s a lot of fun and part of the process to help you build your identity as a Gryphon! We will have early dismissal at 3:30 so faculty can have their development time. Here is the day’s schedule, please make note if you are off campus so you will not be late to any classes:
o M1 block – 9:30 – 10:30
o M2 block – 10:35 – 11:35
o M3 block – 11: 40 – 1:00 (lunch with 3rd block teacher)
o 1st lunch 11:40 – 12:10
o 2nd lunch 12:05 – 12:35
o 3rd lunch 12:30 – 1:00
o M4 block – 1:05 – 2:05
o Dismiss to amphitheater 2:05
o Pep rally 2:15 – 3:25
o Dismissal 3:30 – leave campus or report to Commons to wait for buses.
· Best wishes to our newly elected freshmen SGA officers! All candidates ran great campaigns, we’re glad to see such interest in representing your peers. Congrats to: President: Walker Lee, Vice President: Marcus Lee, Secretary: Kelsey Bledsoe , and Treasurer: Mike Cho
· Quick, what's the name given to a compartmentalized structure formed by a phospholipid membrane, or to an electrolytic solution containing electrodes with different potentials? If you answered "cell," you might have what it takes to be a member of the L&N Science Bowl team! What's involved? Participants will meet for weekly practices, and a team of 5 will compete at the Tennessee Regional Science Bowl on February 26-27. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to declare your interest today!
· Tickets for our fall dance on October 24, 7:00 – 10:00 p.m. here at the school are on sale now for $8/single or $14/couple in the Commons. Can pay with cash or check made out to L&N STEM Academy (put “fall dance” in the memo line).
· Attached is information about our trip to the upcoming National Science & Engineering Festival 2016 in Washington, DC, this coming April 13-17, 2016. Ms. Jorgenson will also be taking a team of art honor society students to explore the wonderful (and free) art museums. You can see Ms. Ellis and Ms. Jorgenson to answer questions and collect deposits (due October 26, 2015).
· Have you heard? Our PTSA is having a STEM Haunted House for kids K - 8 on Friday, October 30. Get with your club or organization and sponsor a room/activity! You can use your time to count for service hours, have some fun, and help our PTSA raise money to support activities for you! See Dr. Bretscher or Mrs. Ellis for more details to get involved!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Do you have an open block N3 period? Do you need community service hours? Next Friday, Oct 23, the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure needs your help to set up tables and chairs on the Worlds Fair Park event site. Sign in to your Open Block as usual, then see Mrs. Ashe at the faculty table to find out where to report for them to put you to work and get credit for the hours (from 1:45 – 3:00).
· In just a couple weeks you can support our school and help the community (and so can your parents!) at our annual MEDIC Blood Drive. Students, parents, and teachers, mark your calendars to give the "gift of life" and participate in our MEDIC blood drive on Monday, November 2.
Students 16 and over are eligible to participate. If you're 16 and at least 120 lbs you may donate with parental consent. (Please use the form attached or come pick one up from Ms. Ellis in the Media Center.) Seventeen year olds who weigh 110 lbs or more may participate as well and DO NOT need consent. EVERYONE donating blood must have ID with them as well as a list of medications if appropriate. Please encourage your parents to contribute as well during our blood drive. There will be a link to a sign up genius so you and your parents can make an appointment to donate. The school receives a cash donation if we reach a certain number. Please give!
· Need community service hours? Open Streets Knoxville is happening Sunday, Oct 25th from 1 - 4 p.m., and we need a LOT of volunteers to make it a success. Volunteers will get a free Open Streets Knoxville t-shirt. Go here to find out more http://openstreetsknoxville.com/ or here to sign up: https://www.volunteersignup.org/TJ9LE
· TN Promise will drop off books on November 10th from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the STEM Space. Students who plan to participate in the TN Promise proceedings will be given a 10 minute overview of the qualification process and mandatory attendance dates.
Quote of the day from Henry David Thoreau:
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)