GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, October 26, 2015 – “M” classes
EARLY RELEASE SCHEDULE
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Thank you for a great spirit week! You proved it is great to be a Gryphon! Here were the final rankings for how each class finished the week in total points: Congrats to the winners of Spirit Week – the SENIORS! Followed by the Class of 2019 – FRESHMEN! Third place were the SOPHOMORES. Who will win next year?!
· Please help us take care of the ghosts and spiderwebs left over from this weekend’s dance. We are leaving them in place for our PTSA Haunted Station fundraiser this Friday night, 6:00 – 9:00. They are just decorations, let’s make sure they look good for visitors! Thank you.
· Attached is information and the permission form for our trip to the upcoming National Science & Engineering Festival 2016 in Washington, DC, this coming April 13-17, 2016. Ms. Jorgenson will also be taking a team of art honor society students to explore the wonderful (and free) art museums. See Ms. Ellis or Ms. Jorgenson to answer questions and collect deposits. There will be an informational meeting about the trip on Monday, November 2 at 5:30 pm, with both of them available to answer questions (and collect deposits) from 5-6 pm. Deposits are due the next day, Tuesday, November 3, 2015.
· Help SGA collect donations for Coats for the Cold! Bring in gently used coats, blankets, gloves, hats, scarves, or donations to the collection bin in the front office from now until October 29th.
· Interested in writing a novel? Maybe you've already started one? November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Check out the website for the Young Writers Program and sign up here: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/. To celebrate and encourage participation, the Media Center will be open at 8 a.m. in the morning throughout November. Just think about what you could accomplish in just 1 hour a day for a month! Work alongside Mr. Crattie and Ms. Ellis as they work on their own novels.
· Need some homework help? Remember that www.Tutor.com offers you free online tutoring from 3 to 11 p.m. All you need is a library card to access it! (Thank you Knox County Public Library!) If you don't have a library card, stop by the Media Center to pick up an application to get one. They're free too!
· Students – our whole school walking field trip to view the annual Veterans’ Day Parade down Gay St in downtown is just 3 weeks away. We MUST have an extended campus form turned in for you in order for you to go. Anyone who has not returned this form will stay in the Commons Area while the rest of us go, from 10:00 – 12:30 on Nov 11. If you need another copy or are not sure you turned one in, check with Mr. Galyon or Powell in the front office. Don’t miss out!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· It’s time to be thinking about your entry in the PTA Reflections program. If you are talented in dance, film production, literature, music composition, photography or visual arts, consider entering this program. The deadline to apply is Friday, Nov. 6th by 4:30pm. The theme for the 2015-2016 school year is Let Your Imagination Fly. This theme—created by Rachel Sperry of Northwood, N.D.—was selected through the Reflections Theme Search Contest. When asked what inspired her theme, Rachel said, "I tell myself to let my imagination fly when writing and sketching." The theme helps Rachel to explore her imagination and she hopes it will inspire others to be creative. For more information or an entry form, contact Mrs. Morrell or Mrs. Jorgenson. Remember, the due dates for all entries is Nov. 6th by 4:30.
· In just a couple weeks you can support our school and help the community (and so can your parents!) at our annual MEDIC Blood Drive. Students, parents, and teachers, mark your calendars to give the "gift of life" and participate in our MEDIC blood drive on Monday, November 2.
Students 16 and over are eligible to participate. If you're 16 and at least 120 lbs you may donate with parental consent. (Please use the form attached or come pick one up from Ms. Ellis in the Media Center.) Seventeen year olds who weigh 110 lbs or more may participate as well and DO NOT need consent. EVERYONE donating blood must have ID with them as well as a list of medications if appropriate. Please encourage your parents to contribute as well during our blood drive. There will be a link to a sign up genius so you and your parents can make an appointment to donate. The school receives a cash donation if we reach a certain number. Please give!
· TN Promise will drop off books on November 10th from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the STEM Space. Students who plan to participate in the TN Promise proceedings will be given a 10 minute overview of the qualification process and mandatory attendance dates.
Quote of the day from Nelson Mandela:
Our greatest fear is not that we are without power. Our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)