GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, October 9, 2015 – “N” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Remember school dress code change – no head coverings or anything covering your face, except accepted religious garments.
· Tickets for our fall dance on October 24, 7:00 – 10:00 p.m. here at the school will go on sale now for $8/single or $14/couple in the Commons. Can pay with cash or check made out to L&N STEM Academy (put “fall dance” in the memo line).
· Students who Pre-Registered for the PSAT: Remember you need to be here early on Wednesday morning when we come back from fall break!
· Look in another blog post for information about our trip to the upcoming National Science & Engineering Festival 2016 in Washington, DC, this coming April 13-17, 2016. Ms. Jorgenson will also be taking a team of art honor society students to explore the wonderful (and free) art museums. On Parent Conference night on October 15, Ms. Ellis and Ms. Jorgenson will be available to answer questions and collect deposits (due October 26, 2015).
· Juniors and seniors are invited to vote for this year’s prom theme during all three lunches at the bank counter podium in the Commons. The 3 choices to vote on can be viewed on posters on the window closest to the serving area in the Commons.
· Have you heard? Our PTSA is having a STEM Haunted House for kids K - 8 on Friday, October 30. Get with your club or organization and sponsor a room/activity! You can use your time to count for service hours, have some fun, and help our PTSA raise money to support activities for you! See Dr. Bretscher or Mrs. Ellis for more details to get involved!
· Good luck to Reece Walker, who will be playing next Monday – Wednesday in the state Golf tournament! Go Reece!
· Sophomores and Seniors: If you missed your class meeting yesterday you can pick up class ring and graduation supplies ordering packets in the front office. Josten’s will be here next Thursday, 10/15, at lunch to take orders and collect deposits.
· Be a part of the L&N Swimming & Diving Team! Free two week trial period runs Oct 5th - Oct 16th. Practices will be held Monday, Tuesday & Thursday at Student Aquatics Center on UT campus. Practice starts at 6:45 a.m. and end at 8:00 a.m. Dr. Bretscher will be riding the trolley back to school with students. For more information or questions contact Dr. Bretscher. Go Gryphon Aquatics!!
· TODAY is the last day Mr. Bell is collecting supplies that will be sent to aid a European refugee camp of 18,000 people. These individuals will be facing winter in harsh conditions and need our help. We are collecting winter clothes, coats, pants, long underwear, blankets, children's diapers, and adult diapers. One Vision International will be sending a large metal shipping container at the end of October. Mr. Bell will be accepting donations in new or gently used condition in Room 208.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Need community service hours? Open Streets Knoxville is happening Sunday, Oct 25th from 1 - 4 p.m., and we need a LOT of volunteers to make it a success. Volunteers will get a free Open Streets Knoxville t-shirt. Go here to find out more http://openstreetsknoxville.com/ or here to sign up: https://www.volunteersignup.org/TJ9LE
· TN Promise will drop off books on November 10th from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the STEM Space. Students who plan to participate in the TN Promise proceedings will be given a 10 minute overview of the qualification process and mandatory attendance dates.
Quote of the day from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe:
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
Have a great fall break! Stay safe – see you on Wednesday!
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)