GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, October 8, 2015 – “L” classes
2015-16 L&N Student Mission – Own it!
· Remember school dress code change starting this morning – no head coverings or anything covering your face, except accepted religious garments. We have a few students wanting to bring the worst of our community into our school – and it will not be tolerated.
· Tickets for our fall dance on October 24, 7:00 – 10:00 p.m. here at the school will go on sale beginning today in the Commons.
· Students who Pre-Registered for the PSAT: You MUST attend a MANDATORY session TODAY, October 8th during Genius Hour, starting at 12:19 in the STEM Space! You will complete the demographic portions of your answer sheet and hear important test day information. If you know you will not be here on Thursday, please email email@example.com ASAP so we can figure something out. Remember: the PSAT will be administered on Wednesday, October 14th, the day we return from Fall Break, so everything testing-related has to be handled this week!
· Be on the lookout for information about our trip to the upcoming National Science & Engineering Festival 2016 in Washington, DC, this coming April 13-17, 2016. Information will be emailed to students soon. Ms. Jorgenson will also be taking a team of art honor society students to explore the wonderful (and free) art museums. On Parent Conference night on October 15, Ms. Ellis and Ms. Jorgenson will be available to answer questions and collect deposits (due October 26, 2015). For more information, see http://www.usasciencefestival.org.
· All students are invited to vote for this year’s prom theme during all three lunches at the bank counter podium in the Commons. Remember Prom is April 23, 2016 at Gettysvue Country Club. The 3 choices to vote on can be viewed on posters on the window closest to the serving area in the Commons.
· Have you heard? Our PTSA is having a STEM Haunted House for kids K - 8 on Friday, October 30. Get with your club or organization and sponsor a room/activity! You can use your time to count for service hours, have some fun, and help our PTSA raise money to support activities for you! See Dr. Bretscher or Mrs. Ellis for more details to get involved!Congrats to Reece Walker, who yesterday qualified himself to compete in the state golf tournament next week! Go Reece!
· Sophomores and Seniors: If you missed your class meeting yesterday you can pick up class ring and graduation supplies ordering packets in the front office. Josten’s will be here next Thursday, 10/15, at lunch to take orders and collect deposits.
· Be a part of the L&N Swimming & Diving Team! Free two week trial period runs Oct 5th - Oct 16th. Practices will be held Monday, Tuesday & Thursday at Student Aquatics Center on UT campus. Practice starts at 6:45 a.m. and end at 8:00 a.m. Dr. Bretscher will be riding the trolley back to school with students. For more information or questions contact Dr. Bretscher. Go Gryphon Aquatics!!
· Mr. Bell is collecting supplies that will be sent to aid a European refugee camp of 18,000 people. These individuals will be facing winter in harsh conditions and need our help. We are collecting winter clothes, coats, pants, long underwear, blankets, children's diapers, and adult diapers. One Vision International will be sending a large metal shipping container at the end of October. Mr. Bell will be accepting donations in new or gently used condition until October 9th in Room 208.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Need community service hours? Open Streets Knoxville is happening Sunday, Oct 25th from 1 - 4 p.m., and we need a LOT of volunteers to make it a success. Volunteers will get a free Open Streets Knoxville t-shirt. Go here to find out more http://openstreetsknoxville.com/ or here to sign up: https://www.volunteersignup.org/TJ9LE
· TN Promise will drop off books on November 10th from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in the STEM Space. Students who plan to participate in the TN Promise proceedings will be given a 10 minute overview of the qualification process and mandatory attendance dates.
Quotes of the day from Christopher Columbus:
You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2-time TN Reward School for Performance (2012 – 2015)