GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, October 24, 2016 – “M” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
Early Release Schedule
· What a great Spirit Week – now it’s time for our PTSA fall fundraiser to celebrate a different kind of “spirit” with our 2nd Annual Haunted Station, this Friday, Oct 28.
o Find out more here (note: this is a link to a Facebook page for the event so you will not be able to access from the school’s network.
o Also, parents and teachers, here’s a link to sign up to volunteer or for donations needed for the evening’s festivities!
o And lastly – get a head start on Christmas shopping online at the L&N PTSA online storefront for apparel, note cards, and magnets. Click here, and pass the link on to family and friends! This is a limited time sale – only through November 21 – don’t wait to order!
· Congrats to our Aquatic Gryphons’ swim and dive teams! This weekend they won their first meet, beating both Bearden and Berean. Way to go swimmers and divers!
· Congratulations to our L&N STEM Academy Orchestra students for a fantastic performance at last night's Knox County Schools Honors Orchestra concert! The musicians include:
o Connor McGinley - Violin I
o Elliott Mills - Violin I
o Kirsten Carter - Violin II
o Samantha Foley - Violin II
o Maeve Houston - Violin II
o Danny Hristov - Violin II
o Jenny Liu - Violin II
o Ethan Marsh - Viola
o Jack Baldwin - Cello
o Ben Boney - Cello
o Mattie Mills - Principal Bass (2nd year in a row!)
· UPDATE: Yearbooks are on sale! Make sure to stop by the office and pick up an order form, or go to www.jostens.com to order yours today. Yearbooks are $60 for a limited time only, so make sure to order yours as soon as possible before the price goes up. Make sure to follow @STEMYB on Twitter to stay up-to-date on yearbook prices and updates throughout the year.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Women in Engineering: The University of Dayton (Ohio) sponsors an overnight event for female juniors and seniors on November 11. Parents can also attend a related program. More information is at go.udayton.edu/exploreengineering or in the Guidance office.
· Lincoln Memorial University Open House: LMU in Harrogate, TN is having an Open House on November 12, particularly showcasing their fine arts programs. Students and parents are welcome. More information is at lmunet.edu or in the Guidance office.
· Architecture Explorer Post: If you are interested in design and architecture, consider joining the Explorer Post sponsored by the East TN chapter of the American Institute of Architects. More information is in the Guidance office.
Quote of the day from Sydney J. Harris:
The two words “information” and “communication” are often used interchangeably, but they signify quite different things. Information is giving out; communication is getting through.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school