GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, October 4, 2016 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Sophomores and Seniors – remember, Josten’s will be on campus at lunch Tues., Oct 18, to collect orders and deposits ($60)! Stop by and see them in the Commons !
· Congrats to Laura Bretscher who won the Bronze Division Girls Race at the Jessie Owens Classic in Alabama on Saturday, she finished 1st out of 320. Girls Cross County took 8th out of 30. Seth Jinks finished in 18th place, while the team finished in 18th place out of 44 teams!
· An informational meeting will be held for all students interested in running Track this spring season on Wed., Oct 5, at 4:45 in the Depot building until 5:15.
· Are you a talented writer, playwright or poet? Videographer? Musical composer? Choreographer? Artist or photographer? "What is Your Story?" is the theme for the PTA Reflections this year. (Reflections is an annual competition of the National PTA.) Categories include Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography and Visual Arts. Entries are judged on interpretation, creativity and technique. All information for each medium is included in Google Drive, including the entry form and folders for each category in which to submit your entry: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5F3w_X0E-xuMjg1dG1Yc0dSNWs?usp=sharing Entries are due November 1st
· Heads up to student drivers – all students who park off campus will need to use only the Blackstock public lot (NOT corner of Grand Ave or KMA) on Wednesday, Oct 5 due to a lunch function at the Foundry. Thank you for your cooperation!
· Congratulations to our National Art Honor Society students, who took the 2nd place honors in their first year of participating in the Oak Ridge Street Painting Festival! Thanks to these members who were directly involved: Kati Ellis, Maddison Wright, Travis Gardner, Trinity Terry, Ayesha Ahmed, Savannah Bresler, and Desiree Dobbins. Great job NAHS!
· Seniors, on Wed., Oct. 5th at 8am in the STEM space, we will have our first TN Promise informational meeting. All seniors should attend to hear from the TN Promise representative about how to receive 2 years of free tuition. Topics covered include: Deadlines, how the scholarship works, where to apply, where and when to do the FAFSA, and other important information. Parents are welcome to attend. Make sure to sign in when you arrive and pick up the TN Promise handbook.
· Plan ahead – this Wednesday is our Medic Blood Drive! Give the gift of life. Students under 18 may donate with parental permission. Stop by the Media Center and ask Mrs. Ellis if you have any questions!
· Hey students! Want your photos from this school year in your 2016-17 yearbook? Go to the App Store and search for "ReplayIt." Once downloaded, the app is simple, self-explanatory, and easy to use! Just upload your favorite (appropriate) pictures from this summer/this year to share them with the yearbook staff!
· Yearbooks are on sale! Make sure to stop by the office and pick up an order form, or go to www.jostens.com to order yours today. Yearbooks are $55 for a limited time only, so make sure to order yours as soon as possible before the price goes up. Also, if you order quickly, you can get up to four free icons by your name in the yearbook! Make sure to follow @STEMYB on Twitter to stay up-to-date on yearbook prices and updates throughout the year.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· College representatives! The following reps will be here next week. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or check in with guidance to sign up:
o University of Miami, OH, Tues, 10/4
o Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, Wed, 10/5
o Appalachian State, NC, Wed, 10/5
o Clemson University, SC, Wed, 10/5
· Students, the A21 Walk For Freedom is coming up. For those of you who don't know what it is, it is an organization that helps as a global community to illuminate human trafficking, and raise funds to rescue those who are victimized by it. It will be held on October 15,2016 at the Knoxville Civic Auditorium form 8:30am-10:30am. To register go to www.A21.org/Knoxville
Quote of the day from Charles Dickens:
Electric communication will never be a substitute for the face of someone who with their soul encourages another person to be brave and true.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school