GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, January 24, 2017 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Come join the fun at Open Mic Night on February 17th from 6pm - 9pm. The SGA encourages everyone to come out and support your peers as they preform. If you would like to sign up to perform, here is the link: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0f49adac2ba7ff2-open. Admission is free and you can buy treats to help support the SGA! Hope to see you there!
· Congratulations to Austin Bradley, whose design was a winner with the Dogwood Arts Festival Guitar Design competition for the 3rd years in a row (last year he won Best of Show)! And to Savannah Bresler, who got 3rd place at the high school level for 2017 TN Youth Art Month Flag design! You guys put the artistic inspiration into our STEaM school!
· Do you have any interest in performing in a rock band on open mic night? One student is looking for a piano player, electric guitar and bass player, and drummer. If you are interested, please contact email@example.com
· Students: nominate your favorite teacher for Knoxville Ice Bears Teacher Appreciation event! If your nomination is drawn, you and the teacher will both get tickets and the whole school gets a free pep rally / session in hockey! Click on the link below to nominate:
· Prom Tickets are still on sale! For the remainder of January, the prices are $45 for a single and $80 for a couple. Tickets are sold during all lunches on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. You can also see Mrs. Brown. Remember to buy early because the price goes up from here.
· Yearbooks are on sale! Visit jostensyearbooks.com to purchase on line or pick up an order form in the office. This is the final week for the current price of $65.00. After 1/27, the price will go up.
· Teens for Christ is starting up again Monday mornings - Meet at 8:45 in Room D 113
· Coming Thursday, Jan 26, during your Genius Hour times (you’ll go with your Genius Hour) the L&N will host a mini college fair in the STEM space. Twenty Tennessee colleges, plus TSAC and EdSouth, will be there. Look for posters with more information and times.
· All students – one of our seniors is working on an entry for AFS Project Change for a scholarship to go abroad this summer on a service project. My project involves hydroponic and alternative farming in Kenya and it has come time for the competition to start. You can support your classmate by going to the link below to vote for her project: http://contest.afsusa.org/entry/582742#.WH-9s32TqJo.email
· The Snow Ball is quickly approaching! This year's Winter Formal will be on Saturday, February 4th from 7-10pm in the Commons. Tickets will be sold in the Commons the week before the dance, $8 for singles and $14 for doubles. Students are invited to wear formal attire and enjoy an evening in a Winter Wonderland.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Junior/Sophomore Guidance Night on January 26th from 6pm to 8pm with ten speakers lined up to share their expertise with you. Topics will include: Financial Aid/FAFSA, Overview of College Process & Common Application, ACT/SAT & GPA Info, TN College of Applied Technology, We Survived! Senior Experience, Dual Enrollment, PSCC TN Transfer Pathway, NCAA, Governor’s School & Summer Programs, & Universal Pathways to Employment information sessions
· Outlier’s Advantage: Knoxville In-Home Tutoring will be hosting a Free Mock ACT on Saturday, January 28 at 9 a.m. for all Knox County students. Hosted at UT's Haslam College of Business. Students will get their results before they leave and will get to keep their tests for their review. Limited seating is available, so students need to pre-register to make sure they have a seat. Interested students can sign-up directly from at www.KnoxvilleTutor.com
· If you took the PSAT and have not yet picked up your paper score report and test booklet, these are still available in the Guidance office.
Quote of the day from Farrah Gray:
Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school