GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, March 20, 2017 – “M” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
Early Release Schedule
· Congratulations to Claire Menefee (senior class) who won a scholarship from AFS. This summer, Claire will join other winners in traveling to Guatemala to implement a sustainability-focused project involving educating children about their environmental impact. Way to go, Claire!
· Watch for a separate email tomorrow with your activities for Tuesday, March 21. These are the ones you signed up for via email survey from Mr. Bell the week before spring break. If you did not answer your email, you were placed in an activity, you will not be able to switch activities – lesson: read your emails daily!
· Students: Did you receive a packet that you are eligible to apply for NHS membership this spring? Don’t forget – deadline is tomorrow, Monday, 3/20, at 9:30 a.m. Don’t be late!
· You have until midnight, Monday night, to help our TSA team beat Farragut’s SGA in a video contest that could net them $500 to help get to nationals. Go here and follow directions to vote: https://www.facebook.com/KnoxACTprep/?pnref=story
· Do you love to eat, shop or read? Do you need a gift for spring, graduation, Mother's day or just because? You should check out the L&N Choir Online Store! It will be open through this Friday, March 24. You shop and pay online then it will be delivered straight to your door! Help them raise money for the choral program to purchase new music! Here is the link: http://www.pepperfundraising.com/program/lnmusic
· Big congrats to our L&N STEMpunks FIRST Robotics team! They won the Imagery Award for aesthetics in engineering and team marketing at the Miami Regional tournament the first weekend of spring break. They were also invited, for the first time in school history, to compete at the National FIRST Robotics tournament, which will be held in Houston later this spring. Way to go STEMpunks!
· Did you go to a beach over spring break? Did you remember to bring back sand for the Geology class? Don’t forget to drop them off in the office labeled with where they are from! Thank you for helping our Geology students study sand and soil composition from other places!
· Students, parents, and teachers, mark your calendars to give the "gift of life" and participate in our MEDIC blood drive on Monday, March 27th. Students 16 and over are eligible to participate. If you're 16 and 120 lbs you may donate with parental consent. (Please use the form attached to the mission briefings or come pick one up from Ms. Ellis in the Media Center.) Seventeen year olds who weigh 110 lbs or more may participate as well and ALSO need consent this time. (Please be aware that all students 16 and 17 will need to turn in a parent consent form this time because of a temporary rule change with MEDIC.) Note: EVERYONE donating blood must have ID with them as well as a list of medications if appropriate. Giving blood will take more than the 15 minutes indicated by the time slot. The time slot is used to indicate when you should come to sign in with the MEDIC staff. Make sure you share your plans to donate blood with your teacher if you have a scheduled class during this time. Please encourage your family and friends to contribute during our blood drive. By donating blood, you'll be helping our community, as well as our school, because MEDIC donates money to our school for each pint of blood collected. Here's the link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0E4BADA623A20-spring
· THIS SATURDYA! Make plans to join us for a pancake breakfast hosted by the Student Government Association on Saturday, March 25th, from 8:30 A.M. to 10:00 A.M. The event will be held at the Chili’s restaurant located in West Knoxville at 7304 Kingston Pike. Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under. All proceeds benefit the Great Starts program, a service of the Helen Ross McNabb Center providing integrated substance abuse and mental health services to recovering pregnant and parenting women. Tickets can be purchased at the door or online here. Bring your family and friends and help us give back to our community!
· Juniors – its time to apply to be the student representative to next year’s Knox County School Board! Student must be a rising senior in good standing. Application is attached.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Will you be at least 16 years old this summer? Do you like to be outdoors? Would you like to have a paid summer internship to build your resume while earning a little cash, and serving wildlife in the process? Apply for One of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park summer internships available. Flyer and application attached.
· All graduating L&N seniors are encouraged to apply for the Merlin Scholarship and the The Rebekah Ellis Honorary Scholarship for Service each worth $1,000. One winner for each will be selected and announced at the awards night in April. All submissions must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 7. Follow this link to learn more about the scholarships, essay prompts and to apply.
Quote of the day from George Bernard Shaw:
People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are, I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want. And if they can’t find them, make them.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school