GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, March 3, 2017 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Juniors – you have a new graduation requirement that begins with your class – taking the ACT. To help you meet that requirement, all juniors will be taking the test at school on Tuesday, March 21 for free. In order to be registered and ready for the exam, you are required to attend a prep session with Mrs. Salerno on Monday, March 6. You need to bring a #2 lead pencil to this session in the Commons. Come to the session that applies to you (listed below):
o M1: Juniors with the last names Ahmad-Lockhart
o M2: Juniors with the last names Lundin-Younger
Note: If you have been notified you will be testing during an alternate window in April, you do NOT need to attend these sessions on Monday.
· All M1, M2, and M4 Digital lab students – on Monday, March 6 you need to report to the Plaza to sign in and will spend the period there due to the ACT prep sessions and National Latin Exam happening in the Commons. Thank you for your cooperation!
· In Advisory today you are receiving a flyer for performances happening over spring break featuring our own sophomore Kennis Van Dyke. If you’re in town, go see her!
· Good luck to our National History Day competitors today at the Regional competition! And smooth travels to our SGA students traveling to TASC this weekend! We know you will all represent us well!
· Juniors – its time to apply to be the student representative to next year’s Knox County School Board! Student must be a rising senior in good standing. Application is available in school office.
· Prom tickets on sale ONLY through next Thursday, March 9! Get them now – no tickets sold at the door! Also, before you go reserve your tux (or your date’s tux) look for senior Daniel Bueckman. Tell him you want your “prom prize” and he will give you a coupon for $50 off your rental!
· Congratulations to Connor McGinley for being selected to participate in the TMEA All-State String Orchestra in Nashville, TN! Three consecutive years of Gryphons representing our school at All-State!
· Bravo to all of our gifted choral performers! The L&N Ensemble gave a magnificent performance Tuesday night at Bearden High School at the KCS Choral Showcase! Thank you for reminding our community that STEM thinkers have other talents, too! Good luck today at Festival singers!!
· Seniors – Jostens will be here with your Senior Supplies on Tuesday, March 7 from 12:20 – 1:40 in the Media Center. You should receive a collection envelope at your home mail address. Bring it with any balance due to pick up your merchandise. Everything must be paid in full to pick it up. Anything not picked up will be taken back to Josten’s and cost $20 for anything that has to be mailed later.
· Student drivers – March 6 – 9 (next week), the Knoxville Boat Show has rented the Blackstock public parking lot we use for student parking. There will be a guard posted so you will not be allowed to park there Monday through Thursday next week. The street parking should be available along Grand Avenue. Keep in mind that the KMA lot is timed so you cannot park there all day long. We are very sorry for the inconvenience, but this is the price we pay for our wonderful location – a little sharing of space with our downtown neighbors every once in awhile.
· Students – did you know we have a co-ed Ultimate Frisbee team? It is a club sport. They have won tournaments and games all over this region and neighboring states. Practices are at 5:00pm at Morningside park. If someone needs a ride they can email to ask directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or send questions to coach Ted Parker at Lparker4@vols.utk.edu.
· Shout outs to our 2 Science Olympiad teams who competed this past weekend. The final results from our Regional tournament just came in. Our Team A finished 6th place, just one point behind 5th place Oak Ridge! All of our students did an outstanding job and Team A increased the number of medals earned from last year (This year- Team A: 12 medals; Team B: 5 medals). Below are the individual awards for the L&N:
o Write It Do It: 1st (Nick Brison and Marcus Lee); 2nd (Hunter Harris and Daniel Hristov)
o Dynamic Planet: 2nd (Connor McGinley and Kaylin Fleenor)
o Game On: 3rd (Marcus Lee and Cade Liggett)
o Helicopters: 3rd (Raymond Wysmierski and Ethan Hancock); 5th (Connor McGinley and Kaylin Fleenor)
o Towers: 3rd (Connor McGinley and Nick Brison)
o Disease Detectives: 4th (Jacob Samar)
o Robot Arm: 4th (Connor McGinley and Taylor Hinkel)
o Remote Sensing: 4th (Jacob Siler and Cade Liggett); 5th (Daniel Hristov and Cayden Coffman)
o Astronomy: 5th (Natalie Pullen and Daniel Hristov)
o Experimental Design: 5th (Samantha Bell, Kirsten Carter, and Jenny Liu)
o Forensics: 5th (Devon McGinley and Sydney Juhl)
o Material Science: 5th (Nick Brison and Jacob Siler)
o Rocks & Minerals: 5th (Kaylin Fleenor and Isabelle Toth)
o Wind Power: 5th (Daniel Eshleman and Jacob Samar)
· One of our advisory classes really needs your help in an upcoming hygiene product drive in our school. For the next two weeks (February 27th through March 9th), we will be collecting items to be donated to KARM Ministries. Items that are needed include things that you would use on a daily basis: deodorant, tooth paste, tooth brushes, bar soap, body wash, conditioner, shampoo, feminine products (tampons and pads), lotion, etc. Please remember that the items you donate need to be new and unused. Travel sizes and family sizes are both needed. Any and all donations should be dropped off in the library. So next time you are at the store, try and pick up a couple of items off this list, and help someone in our community that is in need. Thank you, in advance, for your corporation in this project.
· The L&N STEM PTSA is having a T-shirt design contest and we need lots of entries.... there's a $50 prize for the winning shirt design!...plus a free T-shirt! T-shirt will be screen printed in 2 colors (max) on a color shirt and have the L&N school crest on the front left chest. The design will be featured on the back of the shirt. Design should be something that represents our school or its culture. The shirts with the winning design will be made available to our current STEM family as well as incoming freshmen this Spring.
Artists may submit their entries in color to email@example.com.
Please include your name, a brief artist's statement, your suggested shirt color and two ink colors (black and white count when on a color shirt). Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 pm, Monday, March 6. Winner will be chosen by the PTSA board of managers.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· All graduating L&N seniors are encouraged to apply for the Merlin Scholarship and the The Rebekah Ellis Honorary Scholarship for Service each worth $1,000. One winner for each will be selected and announced at the awards night in April. All submissions must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 7. Follow this link to learn more about the scholarships, essay prompts and to apply.
Quote of the day from former President Ronald Reagan:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school