GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, March 23, 2017 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Have you heard of STEM Fruved? We are a health-based student organization that focuses on helping students manage their weight and live healthier by focusing on improving dietary intake, increasing physical activity, and improving overall stress management skills. We meet in the STEM space on Monday’s from 3:30-4:30pm. Join us for Zumba on March 27th at 3:45pm in the Memorial Lawn. Snacks will be served!
· TSA MADE IT TO THE SEMI-FINAL ROUND, BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP TO MOVE ON!!! This time, the L & N STEM TSA is up against Bearden Soccer! Please, find time to vote for us! You can vote here:
https://www.facebook.com/KnoxACTprep/?pnref=story Or you can go LIKE the Outlier’s Advantage Facebook page AND message them saying to vote for L &N STEM TSA. Voting closes at 10pm on March 25, 2017!!!!!!
· Want to see your classmates performing live this Friday night? On March 24, the band Covalence (comprised of L&N students Carter Manson, Tad Long, and Harrison Hammett) will be opening for The Green Day Xperience by The American Idiots, a Green Day tribute band. Doors open at 7:00 p.m. and we go on at 8:00. Everyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult 18 or older. Tickets are available at www.internationalknox.com
· Calling all artists! How would you like your work featured in permanent paint on a public stormdrain in Knox County? Seriously! Knox County is looking for artists to paint storm drains to educate people about environmental issues. There is a cash prize, and up to 10 artists will be chosen. Applications are due May 1. You can find more information here: https://www.knoxcounty.org/stormwater/strong_streams_art.php
· Do you love to eat, shop or read? Do you need a gift for spring, graduation, Mother's day or just because? You should check out the L&N Choir Online Store! It will be open through this Friday, March 24. You shop and pay online then it will be delivered straight to your door! Help them raise money for the choral program to purchase new music! Here is the link: http://www.pepperfundraising.com/program/lnmusic
· Students, parents, and teachers, mark your calendars to give the "gift of life" and participate in our MEDIC blood drive on Monday, March 27th. Students 16 and over are eligible to participate. If you're 16 and 120 lbs you may donate with parental consent. (Please use the form attached to the mission briefings or come pick one up from Ms. Ellis in the Media Center.) Seventeen year olds who weigh 110 lbs or more may participate as well and ALSO need consent this time. (Please be aware that all students 16 and 17 will need to turn in a parent consent form this time because of a temporary rule change with MEDIC.) Note: EVERYONE donating blood must have ID with them as well as a list of medications if appropriate. Giving blood will take more than the 15 minutes indicated by the time slot. The time slot is used to indicate when you should come to sign in with the MEDIC staff. Make sure you share your plans to donate blood with your teacher if you have a scheduled class during this time. Please encourage your family and friends to contribute during our blood drive. By donating blood, you'll be helping our community, as well as our school, because MEDIC donates money to our school for each pint of blood collected. Here's the link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0E4BADA623A20-spring
· NEXT SATURDAY! Make plans to join us for a pancake breakfast hosted by the Student Government Association on Saturday, April 1st (note date change), from 8:30 A.M. to 10:00 A.M. The event will be held at the Chili’s restaurant located in West Knoxville at 7304 Kingston Pike. Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under. All proceeds benefit the Great Starts program, a service of the Helen Ross McNabb Center providing integrated substance abuse and mental health services to recovering pregnant and parenting women. Tickets can be purchased at the door or online here. Bring your family and friends and help us give back to our community!
· Juniors – its time to apply to be the student representative to next year’s Knox County School Board! Student must be a rising senior in good standing. Pick up an application in the front office.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· All students in AP classes – deadline to register for the AP EXAMS is this Friday, March 24. Exams are $93 each and checks should be made out to L&N STEM Academy. Cash is also accepted. Orders should be turned in to the Counseling office to either Mrs. Johnson or Mrs. Morrell. If you qualify for a fee waiver, exams are $20 each. Order forms are available in the Counseling Office and on the school website under the “School Counseling” tab. If you have question, email Mrs. Morrell (lori.morrell@...) or call the school. Don’t miss out!
· Will you be at least 16 years old this summer? Do you like to be outdoors? Would you like to have a paid summer internship to build your resume while earning a little cash, and serving wildlife in the process? Apply for One of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park summer internships available. Flyer and application attached.
· All graduating L&N seniors are encouraged to apply for the Merlin Scholarship and the The Rebekah Ellis Honorary Scholarship for Service each worth $1,000. One winner for each will be selected and announced at the awards night in April. All submissions must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 7. Follow this link to learn more about the scholarships, essay prompts and to apply.
Quote of the day from Winston Churchill:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school