For Wednesday, April 10, 2013
"L" Schedule Day
ACADEMIC PUSH PERIOD – Early Release Day
· This is SGA election week: Here’s what’s happening each day –
o Wednesday 4-10-13: Swag Day - Students are allowed to pass out pre-approved swag before school and during lunches.
o Thursday 4-11-13: Elections - Ballots will be distributed and collected by Ms. Ellis and Mrs. Brogan
o Friday 4-12-13: Election Results Party - SGA Students will attend a results party on the verandah during 1st and 2nd lunch. RSVP is required and a list of students will be sent on Friday.
· Juniors ONLY: TODAY will be your “open campus” lunch “trial.” Any junior who has an extended campus form on file and had no lower than a “C” on his/her last progress report (list will be confirmed during Adivsory on Tuesday) will be able to check out (you MUST CHECK OUT AND BACK IN THROUGH THE OFFICE) for lunch/advisory time. You’ll receive another email with specific instructions. FAILURE TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS WILL RESULT IN INELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE ON APRIL 24.
· See Mrs. Salerno for applications for next year’s Youth Action Council. Sponsored by the Metropolitan Drug Commission, this group meets outside of school for efforts involving students from all over the city.
· Students of color – see Mrs. Salerno for applications for next year’s National Achievers Society. We had five students selected this year.
· Get volunteer/service hours! The Urban Wilderness Arts & Trade District (South Knoxville's business association) is gearing up with Knox County to make SouthFest one of Knoxville's finest festivals. SouthFest will be held Friday, April 11th (4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m; followed by an outdoor movie at the South Knoxville Branch Library) and Saturday, April 12th (10 a.m. - 4 p.m.). There are some very exciting things planned! See http://KnoxSouthFest.com for more information about the planned activities and a schedule of events. They are looking for individuals to help with parking and in the kids zone and would like to have 12 volunteers in the kid zone for each shift and 4 to 6 for each parking area. If you can volunteer some time either Friday or Saturday (OR both days!), please complete the volunteer form on the UWA&TD website here:
· Hey everyone! Gryphon Outreach is expanding its membership. Gryphon Outreach is the school sponsored community outreach program that works with the local community through community service. We will be holding a general meeting on April 12th (next Friday) at 9:00 AM in Mr. Smith's room G006. Gryphon Outreach is going to be the lead volunteer group from the L&N STEM Academy for the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) walk on May 10th and 11th. We would like to extend an opportunity to students who would like to give back to the community through this event.
· LAST WEEK: The Chess Club is having a fundraiser selling flower bulbs through April 15, 2013. If you are interested in reviewing the items available, please click on this link where you can place your order directly online. The Chess Club thanks you in advance for your support!
Brown Bags: RSVP to Mr. Smith – you MUST email or check in with your Advisory teacher to attend any Brown Bag event. Attendance will be taken!
· Friday, April 12 - Trent Nichols, UT & ORNL, Topic: Medical Technologies, will discuss medical careers and medical technologies that have led his work.
· Monday, April 15 - College Access Monday – Carson Newman College will be in the STEM space during lunch.
· Friday, April 19 – Chris Dager, UT, Topic: Asian Carp and their impact on our waterways
· ACT Question of the day http://www.act.org/qotd/
· Summer School info – applications available online now. Click on “guidance” tab on our website for more info.
· If you’re filling out testing or college paperwork, our school’s CEEB code is 431118. See Mrs. Salerno or the Guidance page on our web site for more.
· Chess Club meets on Wednesdays from 8:45 to 9:15 a.m. in the media center.
· Gryphon Studios, film club, on Thursday afternoons 4:45 – 6:00 PM, in Room 214 in the Station.
· Teens for Christ: Mondays from 8:45 – 9:15 in D113.
· Young Life: Wednesdays from 8:45 – 9:15 in the Mezzanine.
· Venture Club (STEM career post of scouting) meets Thursdays from 5:30 – 7:00 in room 202.
· Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) meets every Friday during 2nd lunch in room 222. This group is about spreading tolerance of diversity in all its forms - all are welcome.
· Peer study group meets every Tuesday from 5:00 – 7:30 at the Lawson McGhee library (downtown branch).
Quote of the day from Debbi Fields,
Good enough never is.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism