For Thursday, April 11, 2013
"N" Schedule Day
ACADEMIC PUSH PERIOD
· This is SGA election week: Here’s what’s happening each day –
o Thursday 4-11-13: Elections - Ballots will be distributed and collected
by Ms. Ellis and Mrs. Brogan
· Friday 4-12-13: Election Results Party - SGA Students will attend a
results party on the verandah during 1st and 2nd lunch. RSVP is required and a list of students will be sent on Friday.
· Juniors: Thank you! You did such a good job yesterday handling your Open Campus lunch that we are adding a Wednesday. Instead of waiting two weeks for your next one, we’ll do them each week. So make your plans, next Open Campus lunch for Juniors is Wed., April 17!
· Congratulations to Shannon O’Connor! She has been accepted to the Ocean Exploration Trust’s (OET) 2013 Honors Research Program for this summer. She’ll spend 4 weeks at the University of Rhode Island and then go to sea in the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea, or Aegean Sea to finish her experience!
· Lost – a pewter and black crucifix on a silver chain. This has sentimental value to a family, if found, please return to the office.
· See Mrs. Salerno for applications for next year’s Youth Action Council. Sponsored by the Metropolitan Drug Commission, this group meets outside of school for efforts involving students from all over the city.
· Students of color – see Mrs. Salerno for applications for next year’s National Achievers Society. We had five students selected this year.
· Get volunteer/service hours! The Urban Wilderness Arts & Trade District (South Knoxville's business association) is gearing up with Knox County to make SouthFest one of Knoxville's finest festivals. SouthFest will be held Friday, April 11th (4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m; followed by an outdoor movie at the South Knoxville Branch Library) and Saturday, April 12th (10 a.m. - 4 p.m.). There are some very exciting things planned! See http://KnoxSouthFest.com for more information about the planned activities and a schedule of events. They are looking for individuals to help with parking and in the kids zone and would like to have 12 volunteers in the kid zone for each shift and 4 to 6 for each parking area. If you can volunteer some time either Friday or Saturday (OR both days!), please complete the volunteer form on the UWA&TD website here:
· Hey everyone! Gryphon Outreach is expanding its membership. Gryphon Outreach is the school sponsored community outreach program that works with the local community through community service. We will be holding a general meeting on April 12th (next Friday) at 9:00 AM in Mr. Smith's room G006. Gryphon Outreach is going to be the lead volunteer group from the L&N STEM Academy for the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) walk on May 10th and 11th. We would like to extend an opportunity to students who would like to give back to the community through this event.
· LAST WEEK: The Chess Club is having a fundraiser selling flower bulbs through April 15, 2013. If you are interested in reviewing the items available, please click on this link where you can place your order directly online. The Chess Club thanks you in advance for your support!
Brown Bags: RSVP to Mr. Smith – you MUST email or check in with your Advisory teacher to attend any Brown Bag event. Attendance will be taken!
· Friday, April 12 - Trent Nichols, UT & ORNL, Topic: Medical Technologies, will discuss medical careers and medical technologies that have led his work.
· Monday, April 15 - College Access Monday – Carson Newman College will be in the STEM space during lunch. ALL JUNIORS will attend so everyone go get your lunch first then report to the STEM space. Your advisors will be there to take attendance. Any sophomores interested in Carson Newman are invited to attend, too.
· Friday, April 19 – Chris Dager, UT, Topic: Asian Carp and their impact on our waterways
· ACT Question of the day http://www.act.org/qotd/
· Summer School info – applications available online now. Click on “guidance” tab on our website for more info.
· If you’re filling out testing or college paperwork, our school’s CEEB code is 431118. See Mrs. Salerno or the Guidance page on our web site for more.
· Chess Club meets on Wednesdays from 8:45 to 9:15 a.m. in the media center.
· Gryphon Studios, film club, on Thursday afternoons 4:45 – 6:00 PM, in Room 214 in the Station.
· Teens for Christ: Mondays from 8:45 – 9:15 in D113.
· Young Life: Wednesdays from 8:45 – 9:15 in the Mezzanine.
· Venture Club (STEM career post of scouting) meets Thursdays from 5:30 – 7:00 in room 202.
· Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) meets every Friday during 2nd lunch in room 222. This group is about spreading tolerance of diversity in all its forms - all are welcome.
· Peer study group meets every Tuesday from 5:00 – 7:30 at the Lawson McGhee library (downtown branch).
Quote of the day from Michael Jordan,
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism