For Friday, April 19, 2013
"N" Schedule Day
ACADEMIC PUSH PERIOD
· Come out to Market Square this Friday night, April 19, to support our own Nate Paul in the districtwide competition “CTE Goes Live!” It’s free and he needs to see familiar faces in the large crowd – let’s be there! See the ad at the bottom of announcements for details.
· Please go to the link below and vote for your favorite Public Service Announcement created by STEM's Broadcast Journalism students. The winning PSA will be aired on local TV this summer. Go STEM!
· Rising juniors and seniors interested in Dual Enrollment Photography classes next semester need to email Mrs. Salerno asap! The course will be offered before school in the mornings on STEM's campus. This is a great opportunity to earn college credit and high school credit simultaneously!
· Looking for something fun to do on Saturday? Teen Shakesfest 2013, featuring Deron Hicks (author of Secrets of Shakespeare's Grave) is scheduled for this Saturday from 1 to 4:30 p.m. at the East Tennessee History Center. There's live music with Laith Keilany at 2 p.m., Tom Parkhill and the Tennessee Stage Company at 2:45 p.m., and a writer's workshop with Deron Hicks at 3:30 p.m.
· Attention current 10th and 11th graders: We will be administering the ASVAB test this coming Monday, April 22nd starting at 9:30 am. The ASVAB Career Exploration Program can help young adults identify and explore potentially satisfying occupations and develop effective strategies to realize career goals. For more information on why you should sign up for this test, please see the information posted on the right hand side of the Guidance page of our website. If you'd like to take advantage of this opportunity, please email Mrs. Salerno at email@example.com.
· Track team members, Doug Aaser, John-Alex Evans, and Dagon Uselton will be leaving at 4:00 today to compete in the Volunteer Track Classic at UT. This is a big deal – congrats for qualifying runners!
Brown Bags: RSVP to Mr. Smith – you MUST email or check in with your Advisory teacher to attend any Brown Bag event. Attendance will be taken!
· Friday, April 19 – Chris Dager, UT, Topic: Asian Carp and their impact on our waterways
· ACT Question of the day http://www.act.org/qotd/
· Summer School info – applications available online now. Click on “guidance” tab on our website for more info.
· If you’re filling out testing or college paperwork, our school’s CEEB code is 431118. See Mrs. Salerno or the Guidance page on our web site for more.
· Chess Club meets on Wednesdays from 8:45 to 9:15 a.m. in the media center.
· Gryphon Studios, film club, on Thursday afternoons 4:45 – 6:00 PM, in Room 214 in the Station.
· Teens for Christ: Mondays from 8:45 – 9:15 in D113.
· Young Life: Wednesdays from 8:45 – 9:15 in the Mezzanine.
· Venture Club (STEM career post of scouting) meets Thursdays from 5:30 – 7:00 in room 202.
· Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) meets every Friday during 2nd lunch in room 222. This group is about spreading tolerance of diversity in all its forms - all are welcome.
· Peer study group meets every Tuesday from 5:00 – 7:30 at the Lawson McGhee library (downtown branch).
Quote of the day from Thomas Edison,
Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism