For Monday, April 22, 2013
"L" Schedule Day
ACADEMIC PUSH PERIOD
· Congratulations to our Tennessee History Day contestants for their outstanding showing in Nashville on Saturday at the state competition. We scored FIRST in the STATE with the exhibit "Einstein-Szilard Letter: Re-writing the Course of History". (Jeremiah Branson, Justin Cross, Noah Dunlap). This group will represent Tennessee at the National History Day competition in Maryland in June! We scored THIRD in the STATE with the performance "Jackie Robinson". (Kevin Mwaura, Jaylon Smith, Alex Walker, Jontae Perrin, and Chase Dupree-Davis). This group is an alternate to represent Tennessee at the National History Day competition. We were represented ably by the website "Gutenberg" in the Senior Individual competition. (Amanda Peebles) Please join us in congratulating all these students for their outstanding performances in the Tennessee State History Day.
· An informational meeting for “The Face of STEM” will be held on Thursday the 25th at 9:00 AM, in room 205. The Face of STEM is a club that reaches out to future applicants of our school. We will help the future applicants to see STEM from the perspective of current students. In order to accomplish this, we will help with shadows, inform schools and future students about STEM, and enable applicants to see how STEM is different and why we are so unique. We hope to see you there!
· Hello everyone! For an end of the year celebration, we are having a Cinco de Mayo Dance on Saturday, May 4th, 7pm-10pm. The attire for this occasion is nice casual - semi formal (no jeans), OR you can dress Cinco de Mayo style. The cost is $6 for single and $10 for a couple. We will serve "Mock"arita drinks and other food. Hope you can come! Buy your tickets at lunch!
· Rising juniors and seniors interested in Dual Enrollment Photography classes next semester need to email Mrs. Salerno asap! The course will be offered before school in the mornings on STEM's campus. This is a great opportunity to earn college credit and high school credit simultaneously!
Brown Bags: RSVP to Mr. Smith – you MUST email or check in with your Advisory teacher to attend any Brown Bag event. Attendance will be taken!
· Monday, April 22 – JUNIORS – NO SPEAKER TODAY – go to your regularly scheduled lunch and Advisory classes.
· Friday, April 26 – Jacene England, Perspective Architecture, will discuss all pertinent aspects of an architect’s career.
· ACT Question of the day http://www.act.org/qotd/
· Summer School info – applications available online now. Click on “guidance” tab on our website for more info.
· If you’re filling out testing or college paperwork, our school’s CEEB code is 431118. See Mrs. Salerno or the Guidance page on our web site for more.
· Chess Club meets on Wednesdays from 8:45 to 9:15 a.m. in the media center.
· Gryphon Studios, film club, on Thursday afternoons 4:45 – 6:00 PM, in Room 214 in the Station.
· Teens for Christ: Mondays from 8:45 – 9:15 in D113.
· Young Life: Wednesdays from 8:45 – 9:15 in the Mezzanine.
· Venture Club (STEM career post of scouting) meets Thursdays from 5:30 – 7:00 in room 202.
· Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) meets every Friday during 2nd lunch in room 222. This group is about spreading tolerance of diversity in all its forms - all are welcome.
· Peer study group meets every Tuesday from 5:00 – 7:30 at the Lawson McGhee library (downtown branch).
Quote of the day from Albert Einstein,
If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism