For Tuesday, October 15, 2013
“L” Day Schedule
· We know everyone is looking forward to a short week and then Fall Break at the end of this week, but remember – we are in school Mon – Wed. Keep your heads focused! Take note, tomorrow (Oct 16) is NOT an Early Release day. Make plans accordingly.
· Six STEM students were on the winning team in this weekend's CBFO high school volleyball tournament. Congratulations to Gryphons Ruthanne Brock, Emma Clancy, Riley Hester, Hannah Kearns, Cat Long, and Anna Kate Tenpenny. STEM dad, Brian Kearns coached the team to victory.
· Bring in some food to help our four-legged friends in Knoxville! We will be collecting pet food for the Young-Williams animal shelter this week (Oct 14 – 16). They need dry food (medium grade or better, 20 lb bag or less) for dogs and wet food for cats and dogs. Bring your donations in to the office all this week.
· Attention Gryphons! Spirit Week is coming during the week of October 21st- October 25th! Here's the list of days so you can start planning your costumes:
o Wednesday October 16th: Pink Out! NO EARLY RELEASE
o Monday October 21st: Superheroes vs. Villains Day!
o Tuesday October 22nd: Color Wars!
o Wednesday October 23rd: Way Back Wednesday!
o Thursday October 24th: Character Day!
o Friday October 25th: Cliché Day!
o Saturday October 26th: Fall Dance
o *Please remember that all costumes must be school appropriate and must follow dress code*
· NSLI Scholarships to Study Language Abroad:
NSLI for Youth (NSLI-Y) provides merit-based scholarships to U.S. high school students to learn less commonly taught languages in summer and academic-year overseas immersion programs. Programs are available for Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Korean, Persian (Tajiki), Russian and Turkish. NSLI-Y is sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State. A NSLI-Y program is an excellent opportunity for U.S. youth interested in developing their language skills and cultural understanding. For more information, you may visit www.nsliforyouth.org.
· Join SGA and the STEM Academy in helping support a cure for breast cancer in our own backyard! Everyone is welcome (family, friends, students, teachers, parents, etc.). Join our school team for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held on Saturday, October 26, 2013, in World's Fair Park. Sign up here to participate or donate: http://knoxville.info-komen.org/site/TR/RacefortheCure/KNX_KnoxvilleAffiliate?team_id=269911&pg=team&fr_id=3625 Our team is the L&N STEM Academy Gryphons. Walk or run, it's sure to be fun!
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Girl Talk – Tuesday morning (Oct 15), 8:45 a.m., room 214
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
College recruiter visits coming up. Please email Mrs. Johnson (email@example.com) if you want to attend:
Wednesday, Oct 16: Vanderbilt University, 12:30 – 1:00
Monday, Oct 21: Maryville College, 11:00 – 11:30
Students applying to Governor's School: http://tn.gov/education/govschools/
Please note that the deadlines to submit completed applications to Mrs. Salerno are as follows: Governor's School for the ARTS: October 30th, All Others: November 26th. This will ensure that your application can be submitted by the school in time to meet their final deadline. Late applications to Governor's School are not accepted!
Quote of the day from Albert Einstein:
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School
All students are formally invited to the Ghoulish Gala, held on the evening of October 26 from 7pm - 10pm! Tickets are $8 for singles and $15 for couples. Join us for a night of music, food, and spookiness. Dress is semi-formal, but it is optional to wear a school appropriate costume. Warning: fog machine present at entrance.