For Tuesday, October 29, 2013
“L” Day Schedule
· We need your help students – at breakfast and lunch on Monday the Commons and Verandah were left with trash, empty bottles, and plates on the tables. We use that space for some classes and no one wants to sit with your mess. Yesterday some of your classmates showed great professionalism and pride in the building and cleaned up after you – don’t let it happen again. Police yourselves and each other!
· Bring your parents and come out tonight after you stop by the L&N to learn about ordering a letter jacket (see last announcement in this section) and go to Austin East High School to participate in the system’s last public input meeting for the next 5-year strategic plan. Hours are from 6:00 – 8:00, snacks and child care for younger children provided. A string quartet from our orchestra will be playing to close the event – come out and show your support while giving your opinions!
· Congratulations to the following students who spent Friday at the regional Honors Orchestra after earning a place there: Noah Dunlap, Olivia Hudson, Ella Marston, John Petersen, David Skeirik
· At the Region 1 A-AA Championship at Daniel Boone High School in Gray, TN, the L&N STEM Academy cross country team fielded 12 runners last Thursday. The boys varsity team (Dagon Uselton, Austin Bradley, Ryan Brunton, Logan King, Brandon Haught, Mason Evans, and Paul Schwarzentraub) won 8th place of 14 teams. Dagon Uselton qualifies for the State championship this weekend with a 5th place finish and a time of 17:08. However, the cross country team wins 1st place for the noisiest cheer for their State qualifier during the awards ceremony! Way to go runnin’ Gryphons!
· National Honor Society (NHS) members will be coming around to each advisory on Monday and Tuesday. For a $3 donation, students can get a ticket to go Trunk or Treating from faculty in the parking lot during Advisory on Thursday, October 31.
· For a limited time only – PTSA has the following items available for order. Order forms are in the front office. You can see samples in the school bookstore:
o Charcoal Gray (the new UT gray color this year) Sweatpants with L&N down side: $25 ($27 xxlg)
o Charcoal Gray Hoodies with STEM logo: $25 ($27 xxlg)
o Tumblers: $12
o L&N STEM cling: $5
o L&N STEM magnet: $10
o Green and Gold Pom Poms (set of 2): $6
o Limited Ed. 2013-2014 LONG Sleeve T-shirts: $15
o L&N Temporary Tattoos: $3 for 10
Please send the following information with full payment (cash or check) in envelope addressed to PTSA to the office:
1.) Student Name and Year
2.) Your phone number and email address
3.) Items you are purchasing and SIZE(s)
4.) Check made out to L&N Stem PTSA
Please address all questions to email@example.com
· Student athletes, robotics team, and students who have had 1st or 2nd honors at the end of a year since you’ve been at the L&N: we’ll have an informal meeting next Tuesday, Oct 29, from 4:30 – 6:30 for you and your parents to learn more about ordering the very first edition L&N letter jackets. There will be a sample to see and information about placing orders. We’ll have the information in the office for those who cannot attend.
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Chess club in room 202 at 8:30 on Wednesday mornings.
· Girl Talk, room 214, Tuesdays at 8:45.
· Scholars bowl team practice Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:35, room 207.
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
· Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
College recruiter visits coming up. Please email Mrs. Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to attend.
Students applying to Governor's School: http://tn.gov/education/govschools/
Please note that the deadlines to submit completed applications to Mrs. Salerno are as follows: Governor's School for the ARTS: tomorrow - October 30th, All Others: November 26th. This will ensure that your application can be submitted by the school in time to meet their final deadline. Late applications to Governor's School are not accepted!
Quote of the day from Stephen Covey:
I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School