For Tuesday, October 22, 2013
“N” Day Schedule
· We will follow the bell schedule for Early Release today – but instead of dismissing at 3:30, all students will report to the plaza/parking lot for a Spirit Rally. We will recognize all fall athletes and Honors students as of the last progress report period and then have some fun competitions among classes. We will dismiss at 4:30.
· Attention Gryphons! Spirit Week is here! Here's the list of days so you can start planning your costumes:
o Tuesday October 22nd: Color Wars!
o Wednesday October 23rd: Way Back Wednesday!
o Thursday October 24th: Character Day!
o Friday October 25th: Cliché Day!
o Saturday October 26th: Fall Dance
o *Please remember that all costumes must be school appropriate and must follow dress code*
· Congratulations to the following students who were just inducted in the Urban League’s National Achievers Society class of 2013: Deshaun Covington, Kenneth Foster, Kimara Pruitt, Ayanna Troutman, Alissa White.
· Juniors and Seniors: Your Junior class officers have arranged a college site visit to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on Monday, November 4. Any junior interested in going needs to see Mrs. Griggs or Mr. Fannon for a permission slip this week. The total cost of the trip is $40, including bus, admissions, and lunch. More information is on the permission form. There are only 50 spots available and when they’re taken, its gone! All forms and money are due when the bus fills up or Oct 31, whichever is first.
· This Thursday is Parent/student conferences. You will have an active role! Plan now to bring your parents. You’ll hear more about it in Advisory class.
· Bring in some food to help our four-legged friends in Knoxville! We will be collecting pet food for the Young-Williams animal shelter all this week. They need dry food (medium grade or better, 20 lb bag or less) for dogs and wet food for cats and dogs. Bring your donations in to the office all this week.
· NSLI Scholarships to Study Language Abroad:
NSLI for Youth (NSLI-Y) provides merit-based scholarships to U.S. high school students to learn less commonly taught languages in summer and academic-year overseas immersion programs. Programs are available for Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Korean, Persian (Tajiki), Russian and Turkish. NSLI-Y is sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State. A NSLI-Y program is an excellent opportunity for U.S. youth interested in developing their language skills and cultural understanding. For more information, you may visit www.nsliforyouth.org.
· Join SGA and the STEM Academy in helping support a cure for breast cancer in our own backyard! Everyone is welcome (family, friends, students, teachers, parents, etc.). Join our school team for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held on Saturday, October 26, 2013, in World's Fair Park. Sign up here to participate or donate: http://knoxville.info-komen.org/site/TR/RacefortheCure/KNX_KnoxvilleAffiliate?team_id=269911&pg=team&fr_id=3625 Our team is the L&N STEM Academy Gryphons. Walk or run, it's sure to be fun!
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Quiz bowl team practice Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:35, room 207.
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
College recruiter visits coming up. Please email Mrs. Johnson (email@example.com) if you want to attend:
Students applying to Governor's School: http://tn.gov/education/govschools/
Please note that the deadlines to submit completed applications to Mrs. Salerno are as follows: Governor's School for the ARTS: next Wednesday - October 30th, All Others: November 26th. This will ensure that your application can be submitted by the school in time to meet their final deadline. Late applications to Governor's School are not accepted!
Quote of the day from Mark Twain:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School
All students are formally invited to the Ghoulish Gala, held on the evening of October 26 from 7pm - 10pm! Tickets are $8 for singles and $15 for couples. Join us for a night of music, food, and spookiness. Dress is semi-formal, but it is optional to wear a school appropriate costume. Warning: fog machine present at entrance.