For Wednesday, October 30, 2013
“N” Day Schedule
· Students (and staff) may wear costumes tomorrow (Halloween) – as long as you are easily identifiable (no makeup or mask covering the face to make you unrecognizable) and the costume fits the dress code (no bare midriffs, spaghetti straps, short shorts etc.). Costumes/props should not impede or unduly distract from the educational process.
· Reminder – tomorrow (Thursday, 10/31) Josten’s will be back to collect class ring and graduation supply orders and deposits. Look for them at lunch in the cafeteria.
· NHS will be accepting $3 donations for the Trunk Or Treat event today and Thursday in the mornings in the Commons. This is your last chance to go Trunk Or Treating from teacher trunks during Advisory on Thursday!
· Calling all Gryphons! Gryphon Outreach is putting on a Chicken Nugget Eating Contest between some members of the faculty. The teams will be Mr. Smith, Mr. Fannon, and Mr. Webster against Ms. Griggs, Ms. Norton, and Ms. Holt. The competition will be 10 minutes long to see who can eat the most chicken nuggets. That's where you come in. You will be able to donate money to support your favorite side. Buckets will go out Wednesday, October 30 and continue until November 6th. For each $10 donated to a side, that team will receive an advantage that will be explained when you donate. Support your favorite side! Monies raised wil go to support Gryphon Outreach’s charity efforts.
· Reminder: The deadline for the PTSA Reflections, Safety/Multi Media and Citizenship contests is next week. Students, please finalize your entries and get them submitted to the front desk or to Ms. Jorgenson by the end of the day on Friday, November 8th.
· Congratulations to our first two All-District Golfers! Chris Kleinschmidt and Jacob Samar were both elected to the 2013 District 2 A-AA All District Golf team!
· At the Region 1 A-AA Championship at Daniel Boone High School in Gray, TN, the L&N STEM Academy cross country team fielded 12 runners last Thursday. The boys varsity team (Dagon Uselton, Austin Bradley, Ryan Brunton, Logan King, Brandon Haught, Mason Evans, and Paul Schwarzentraub) won 8th place of 14 teams. Dagon Uselton qualifies for the State championship this weekend with a 5th place finish and a time of 17:08. However, the cross country team wins 1st place for the noisiest cheer for their State qualifier during the awards ceremony! Way to go runnin’ Gryphons!
· For a limited time only – PTSA has the following items available for order. Order forms are in the front office. You can see samples in the school bookstore:
o Charcoal Gray (the new UT gray color this year) Sweatpants with L&N down side: $25 ($27 xxlg)
o Charcoal Gray Hoodies with STEM logo: $25 ($27 xxlg)
o Tumblers: $12
o L&N STEM cling: $5
o L&N STEM magnet: $10
o Green and Gold Pom Poms (set of 2): $6
o Limited Ed. 2013-2014 LONG Sleeve T-shirts: $15
o L&N Temporary Tattoos: $3 for 10
Please send the following information with full payment (cash or check) in envelope addressed to PTSA to the office:
1.) Student Name and Year
2.) Your phone number and email address
3.) Items you are purchasing and SIZE(s)
4.) Check made out to L&N Stem PTSA
Please address all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Chess club in room 202 at 8:30 on Wednesday mornings.
· Girl Talk, room 214, Tuesdays at 8:45.
· Scholars bowl team practice Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:35, room 207.
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
· Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
College recruiter visits coming up. Please email Mrs. Johnson (email@example.com) if you want to attend.
Students applying to Governor's School: http://tn.gov/education/govschools/
Please note that the deadlines to submit completed applications to Mrs. Salerno are as follows: Governor's School for the ARTS: tomorrow - October 30th, All Others: November 26th. This will ensure that your application can be submitted by the school in time to meet their final deadline. Late applications to Governor's School are not accepted!
Quote of the day from Henry Ward Beecher:
Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anybody expects of you. Never excuse yourself.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School