For Thursday, October 10, 2013
“N” Day Schedule
· Come to the cafeteria this morning to celebrate Child Health Week, with a free breakfast for everyone of our golden French toast sticks or cereal & toast, with 100% fruit juice and milk – today only!.
· Hopefully you enjoyed the “bookstore fashion show” yesterday morning – be sure to stop by and get your school gear!
· Prom Committee is selling T-shirts for Spirit week and the Color War. Shirts are $10 and today is the last day to order! Students can purchase them in the morning and during all 3 lunches. Additionally, we are collecting all students' signatures to go on the back of the shirts. Students can sign during the morning or during all 3 lunches.
· Got fast reflexes? Quick recall? Are you highly competitive? Enjoy challenging yourself and others in academic subjects? Do you like trivia and current events? Can you compete and contribute to a team effort? If you said yes to any of the above, the L&N STEM Academy is looking for students interested in forming a Quiz Bowl team! We need YOU! An informational meeting will be held on Thursday, Oct 10th at 9AM in Room 214. If you're interested and can't make the meeting, contact Ms. Cheng, Mr. Mangone, or Ms. Hickson for more information!
· Do you need help with your homework? Check out Tutor.com and get live, real-time help online for free! Go to our school fusion page and click on the Subscriptions menu (across the top rule). Click on Tutor.com and set up an anonymous, free account so that you can tag and reconnect with your favorite tutors, store your assignments and files in a virtual locker, and even review your past sessions when studying. You can work with Tutor.com tutors to help complete your homework, study for a test, understand concepts, and even help with your AP assignments. (The password is govols.) Stop by the Media Center if you have questions.
· Correction – the bake sale yesterday was to support the new Fashion Magazine club.
· We will be collecting pet food for the Young-Williams animal shelter during fall break week (Oct 14 – 16). They need dry food (medium grade or better, 20 lbs or less) for dogs and wet food for cats and dogs. There will be a collection bin in the office.
· Attention Gryphons! Spirit Week is coming during the week of October 21st- October 25th! Here's the list of days so you can start planning your costumes:
o Wednesday October 16th: Pink Out!
o Monday October 21st: Superheroes vs. Villains Day!
o Tuesday October 22nd: Color Wars!
o Wednesday October 23rd: Way Back Wednesday!
o Thursday October 24th: Character Day!
o Friday October 25th: Cliché Day!
o Saturday October 26th: Fall Dance
o *Please remember that all costumes must be school appropriate and must follow dress code*
· Want to show your game skills? We’ll be hosting a video game tournament with NCAA13 on an Xbox, Friday, Oct 11, in our Commons Area starting at 5:30 p.m. Cost will be $8 to play (includes pizza dinner, soda, and snack) or $4 to come to watch (includes same food). Students will be able to purchase wristbands to participate beginning Oct 8 in the bookstore. Proceeds will go towards schoolwide event costs. Questions? Email S727438@student.knoxschools.org
· Join SGA and the STEM Academy in helping support a cure for breast cancer in our own backyard! Everyone is welcome (family, friends, students, teachers, parents, etc.). Join our school team for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held on Saturday, October 26, 2013, in World's Fair Park. Sign up here to participate or daonate: http://knoxville.info-komen.org/site/TR/RacefortheCure/KNX_KnoxvilleAffiliate?team_id=269911&pg=team&fr_id=3625 Our team is the L&N STEM Academy Gryphons. Walk or run, it's sure to be fun!
· The Reflections program is an arts enrichment contest sponsored by the National PTA. This year’s Reflection's theme is “Believe, Dream, Inspire”. Go to the PTSA page off our website for more information including rules, guidelines, and deadlines.
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· SGA is holding a general meeting on Thursday, October 10 (note corrected day) in the morning and the afternoon (come to whichever time works best). The morning meeting will be held in Rm. 104 at 8:45 a.m. and the afternoon meeting will also be in Rm. 104 at 4:30 p.m. This meeting is for all members.
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
Students applying to Governor's School: http://tn.gov/education/govschools/
Please note that the deadlines to submit completed applications to Mrs. Salerno are as follows: Governor's School for the ARTS: October 30th, All Others: November 26th. This will ensure that your application can be submitted by the school in time to meet their final deadline. Late applications to Governor's School are not accepted!
Quote of the day: from Albert Einstein:
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School
All students are formally invited to the Ghoulish Gala, held on the evening of October 26 from 7pm - 10pm! Tickets are $8 for singles and $15 for couples. Join us for a night of music, food, and spookiness. Dress is semi-formal, but it is optional to wear a school appropriate costume. Warning: fog machine present at entrance.