For Friday, October 4, 2013
“N” Day Schedule
· Prom Committee is selling T-shirts for Spirit week and the Color War. Shirts are $10 and we are selling through next Oct 10 (next Thursday). Students can purchase them in the morning and during all 3 lunches. Additionally, we are collecting all students' signatures to go on the back of the shirts. Students can sign during the morning or during all 3 lunches.
· Attention students who signed up to take the PSAT:
You must attend one of the two mandatory pre-administration sessions in order to take the PSAT on October 16th. These sessions will be held in the Commons and will last between 45 minutes and 1 hour. You will be responsible for anything you miss while out of class during this time. If possible, please select the session that falls when you have a non-core academic class.
Monday, 10/7 at 1:30 (L3)
Tuesday 10/8 at 1:30 (N3)
Students who fail to attend a session are not permitted by College Board to test on the 16th; there will be no refunds given.
· Got fast reflexes? Quick recall? Are you highly competitive? Enjoy challenging yourself and others in academic subjects? Do you like trivia and current events? Can you compete and contribute to a team effort? If you said yes to any of the above, the L&N STEM Academy is looking for students interested in forming a Quiz Bowl team! We need YOU! An informational meeting will be held on Thursday, Oct 10th at 9AM in Room 214. If you're interested and can't make the meeting, contact Ms. Cheng, Mr. Mangone, or Ms. Hickson for more information!
· Do you need help with your homework? Check out Tutor.com and get live, real-time help online for free! Go to our school fusion page and click on the Subscriptions menu (across the top rule). Click on Tutor.com and set up an anonymous, free account so that you can tag and reconnect with your favorite tutors, store your assignments and files in a virtual locker, and even review your past sessions when studying. You can work with Tutor.com tutors to help complete your homework, study for a test, understand concepts, and even help with your AP assignments. (The password is govols.) Stop by the Media Center if you have questions.
· Join us for Ruta Sepetys' author visit to our school co-sponsored by CCYAL on Tuesday, Oct. 8 at 1:30 in Rm. 104 (station). The Nashville-based author of fiction for young adults will be speaking about Between Shades of Gray, a powerful story inspired by Sepetys' own families' experience in Lithuania under Soviet Occupation during Stalin's cruel dictatorship. Sepetys' second novel, Out of the Easy, combines her "love for New Orleans, historical scandal, and the idea that we are most perfect in our imperfection." Consider purchasing a copy of one of these titles this weekend and asking her to sign your book! Make sure you contact Ms. Ellis to reserve your seat.
· One of the STEM classes is doing a design project with potential space we might be able to obtain in the bottom of the convention center next to the school for future expansion space. Please take a moment to give them some thoughts on this survey to help: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L857ZML
· Potential volunteers are needed for Knoxville Zoo's Boo! at the Zoo. This is Knoxville's largest trick-or-treat event scheduled for October 10-13, 17-20 and 24-27. We need volunteers from 4:15- 9:00 to help with handing out candy, dressing in costumes we provide and assist with activities. Flyers with more information are available in the front office at the desk.
· Attention Gryphons! Spirit Week is coming during the week of October 21st- October 25th! Here's the list of days so you can start planning your costumes:
o Wednesday October 16th: Pink Out! Wear pink in honor of those fighting or having fought breast cancer and to support the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.
o Monday October 21st: Superheroes vs. Villains Day! Dress like your favorite super hero or villain.
o Tuesday October 22nd: Color Wars! To show your school spirit each grade should wear as much of their assigned color as they can. (Freshman: red, Sophomore: blue, Junior: green, Senior: yellow) Buy your shirt from the prom committee now!
o Wednesday October 23rd: Way Back Wednesday! Blast from the past! Dress from any past era of your choice. (Example: 20s, western era, prehistoric, civil war, and pretty much any other time period you can think of)
o Thursday October 24th: Character Day! Dress up as your favorite character from any book, movie, TV show, etc.
o Friday October 25th: Cliché Day! Dress up like any stereotypical high schooler you can think of. (Example: jock, cheerleader, nerd, prep, hipster, athlete, super artist, etc.)
o Saturday October 26th: Come out in the morning and join or support our Komen Race for the Cure team at World’s Fair Park and then plan to attend the Fall Dance here that night! More details next week.
o *Please remember that all costumes must be school appropriate and must follow dress code*
· Instructions for applying to TN Governor's Schools can be found in an email sent to all 10th and 11th grade students as well as on the School Counseling page of the website. Applications are now available for the Governor’s School programs for summer 2014. Go to this website http://www.tn.gov/education/govschools/index.shtml for more information about all the different programs (ranging from Arts to Sciences to Engineering and Scientific Models). They are held across the state and financial aid is available to help with costs.
· Want to show your game skills? We’ll be hosting a video game tournament with NCAA13 on an Xbox, Friday, Oct 11, in our Commons Area starting at 5:30 p.m. Cost will be $8 to play (includes pizza dinner, soda, and snack) or $4 to come to watch (includes same food). Students will be able to purchase wristbands to participate beginning Oct 7 in the bookstore. Proceeds will go towards schoolwide event costs. Questions? Email S727438@student.knoxschools.org
· Join SGA and the STEM Academy in helping support a cure for breast cancer in our own backyard! Everyone is welcome (family, friends, students, teachers, parents, etc.). Join our school team for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held on Saturday, October 26, 2013, in World's Fair Park. Sign up here to participate or daonate: http://knoxville.info-komen.org/site/TR/RacefortheCure/KNX_KnoxvilleAffiliate?team_id=269911&pg=team&fr_id=3625 Our team is the L&N STEM Academy Gryphons. Walk or run, it's sure to be fun!
· The Reflections program is an arts enrichment contest sponsored by the National PTA. This year’s Reflection's theme is “Believe, Dream, Inspire”. Go to the PTSA page off our website for more information including rules, guidelines, and deadlines.
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· SGA is holding a general meeting on Wednesday, October 10 in the morning and the afternoon (come to whichever time works best). The morning meeting will be held in Rm. 104 at 8:45 a.m. and the afternoon meeting will also be in Rm. 104 at 3:40 p.m. This meeting is for all members.
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
· September 30th-October 4th is Tennessee's College App Week. This is a great time to begin thinking about college no matter what grade you're in!
Quote of the day: from Roger Bannister:
The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School