For Thursday, October 24, 2013
“N” Day Schedule
· Please have your afternoon rides use the alternative pick up location tomorrow (Friday) – as they will be setting up for Komen’s Race for Saturday on World’s Fair Park.
· Attention Gryphons! Spirit Week is here! Here's the list of days so you can start planning your costumes:
o Thursday October 24th: Character Day!
o Friday October 25th: Cliché Day!
o Saturday October 26th: Fall Dance
o *Please remember that all costumes must be school appropriate and must follow dress code*
· **Time is running out!** Don't forget to buy your tickets for Saturday's dance! Join us for the Goulish Gala on Saturday from 7pm - 10pm! Purchase your tickets during lunch Thursday & Friday. Tickets are $8 for singles and $15 for couples. Join us for a night of music and spookiness. Dress is semi-formal, but it is optional to wear a school-appropriate costume. Warning: fog machine present at entrance. If you’re bringing someone who is not a student here, you must have a completed visitor application when you buy the ticket. Last dance before Prom – don’t miss it!!
· Congratulations to the following students who were just inducted in the Urban League’s National Achievers Society class of 2013: Deshaun Covington, Kenneth Foster, Kimara Pruitt, Ayanna Troutman, Alissa White.
· Juniors and Seniors: Your Junior class officers have arranged a college site visit to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on Monday, November 4. Any junior interested in going needs to see Mrs. Griggs or Mr. Fannon for a permission slip this week. The total cost of the trip is $40, including bus, admissions, and lunch. More information is on the permission form. There are only 50 spots available and when they’re taken, its gone! All forms and money are due when the bus fills up or Oct 31, whichever is first.
· This Thursday is Parent/student conferences. You will have an active role! Plan now to bring your parents. You’ll hear more about it in Advisory class.
· Bring in some food to help our four-legged friends in Knoxville! We will be collecting pet food for the Young-Williams animal shelter all this week. They need dry food (medium grade or better, 20 lb bag or less) for dogs and wet food for cats and dogs. Bring your donations in to the office all this week.
· Today is the last day to sign up online for Saturday's Race for the Cure. We'd love for you to join us! Everyone is welcome. Sign up here to participate or donate: http://knoxville.info-komen.org/site/TR/RacefortheCure/KNX_KnoxvilleAffiliate?team_id=269911&pg=team&fr_id=3625
· For a limited time only – PTSA has the following items available for order. You can see samples in the school bookstore:
o Charcoal Gray (the new UT gray color this year) Sweatpants with L&N down side: $25 ($27 xxlg)
o Charcoal Gray Hoodies with STEM logo: $25 ($27 xxlg)
o Tumblers: $12
o L&N STEM cling: $5
o L&N STEM magnet: $10
o Green and Gold Pom Poms (set of 2): $6
o Limited Ed. 2013-2014 LONG Sleeve T-shirts: $15
o L&N Temporary Tattoos: $3 for 10
Please send the following information with full payment (cash or check) in envelope addressed to PTSA to the office:
1.) Student Name and Year
2.) Your phone number and email address
3.) Items you are purchasing and SIZE(s)
4.) Check made out to L&N Stem PTSA
Please address all questions to email@example.com
· The L&N Art Honor Society entry, named “Poe”, won 2nd place in the 2013 Scarecrows in the Park event’s student division! Knox County Mayor Tim Burchett will be awarding the prizes at the New Harvest Farmers Market this afternoon. The team creating this winning scarecrow design was composed of Jakob Lavoll, Lauren Fuquay, Brittany Dunaway, Gaige Rakes, and Ryan Gardner. Their winning entry will remain on display at the Farmers Market (next to Knoxville Center) until November 1. Congrats – and way to represent our school!
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Girl Talk, room 214, Tuesdays at 8:45.
· Quiz bowl team practice Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:35, room 207.
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
College recruiter visits coming up. Please email Mrs. Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to attend:
Students applying to Governor's School: http://tn.gov/education/govschools/
Please note that the deadlines to submit completed applications to Mrs. Salerno are as follows: Governor's School for the ARTS: next Wednesday - October 30th, All Others: November 26th. This will ensure that your application can be submitted by the school in time to meet their final deadline. Late applications to Governor's School are not accepted!
Quote of the day from John Maxwell:
Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School