GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Friday, August 19, 2016 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· All students MUST be signed up for a Genius Hour on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Even if you plan to be off campus during this time, you must still sign up. Anyone NOT signed up by the end of the school day Friday, August 19, will be placed in a Genius Hour by the administration. We still have 100 students that have not filled out the form. Please do so immediately.
· Heads up to drivers and parents – one lane of Worlds Fair Park Drive will be closed Friday, Aug 19, at dismissal. You will not be able to wait for students in your usual location. You should arrange to meet rides either in the parking lot of KMA or down Grand Avenue.
· Join the L&N STEMpunks, the L&N STEM Academy's FIRST Robotics Competition team! Along with mechanical and electrical engineering aspects of our team, we also specialize in business and branding, with our communications department winning an international award just last year! Regardless of whether you like to write code, or simply want to drive a robot, there's something for you on the team. Come join us at our Fall Interest Meeting in the Commons this Friday, August 19th from 5-7:30pm to learn more. http://lnstempunks.org
· The Downtown YMCA is offering a special membership for L&N STEM students. Students can join the YMCA for $50 for the school year. (that is a steal - normal health club memberships are $20 - $30 /month). The membership is only good for use at the Lindsey Young Downtown YMCA. The Downtown YMCA is about a 5 minute walk from STEM (605 Clinch Ave). YMCA membership personnel will be at the L&N STEM Open House Tuesday night to sell student and family memberships. Tell your parents about this great opportunity! If you have any questions ask Mr. Parker or Dr. Bretscher
· Spirit week is October 17 – 21, order your Spirit Week t-shirts this week and next during lunch. They are $15 until August 19, and then the price will go up! Order now! Cash or check payable to “L&N STEM”.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Are you interested in being more involved in your school community? PTSA is looking for four student representatives to join our Board of Managers. We will select one student per grade to represent his or her class (freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors) at our PTSA meetings and events. If you'd like to be considered for one of these roles, please fill out the following application: https://goo.gl/forms/xVzWzkZoj6zxUxIR2. If you have questions, contact Ms. Ellis. (This application will close on Monday, Aug. 22nd at 11:59 p.m.)
· In-Home Tutoring will be hosting a Free Mock ACT on Saturday, August 27 at 9 a.m. for all Knox County students, at ITT tech. Students will get their results before they leave and will get to keep their tests for their review. Limited seating is available, so students need to pre-register to make sure they have a seat. This is a great practice opportunity before the September test. Sign-up directly from their website at www.KnoxvilleTutor.com
Quote of the day from Bob Marley:
Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you’re living?
Remember, you’re at the school that helps dreams come true – your future starts now!
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school