GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, August 30, 2016 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Don’t forget – this Thursday we are on a shortened schedule – at the bottom of this email due to the UT home opener football game. To celebrate college football season starting all teachers and students are encouraged to wear colors or gear from your favorite college! Show your colors! If you park in the Blackstock public parking lot you need to pick up a parking pass for this day. They are available in the office.
· Coming to our Media Center – the Gryphon Coffee Nook! Beginning Thursday, Sept 1, see the flyer below!
· Attention Juniors and Seniors: Want to obtain a scholarship of $100, $250 or $500 in addition to a trip to the State Capitol?
The Tennessee Secretary of State’s office is conducting its first ever student essay contest! Our goal is to have a winner from the L&N STEM Academy.
The topic of the essay is voting and the word count limit is only 500 words. Mrs. Griggs would be happy to assist you with your essay response (just shoot her an email email@example.com)
Essay prompt: Surveys show that the younger generations are becoming increasingly disengaged from the electoral process, especially the “millennial” generation. Why do you think this trend is occurring and what is one way to get more young people involved in the process?
Check out the website for more details and contest rules: http://sos.tn.gov/products/essay-contest
Community & Guidance Ops:
· College rep visits coming up! Please register with Mrs. Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org so she can prepare a large enough meeting space. Tell her which you want to attend:
o Guilford College, Greensboro, NC, Wed, 8/31, 12:15
o Queens University, Charlotte, NC, Thur, 9/1, 10:00
o Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD, Thur, 9/1, 11:30
o Maryville College, Maryville, TN, Fri, 9/2, 12:15
· PSAT registration is now open to all 9th-11th graders. We would like to have 100% participation for our 9th, 10th, and 11th graders, even if students have previously taken this exam. The registration form was emailed out to all students and is also available in the Guidance office. The fee is $20 and financial assistance is available--email email@example.com if needed. Registration deadline is September 9th. Registration forms and money can be turned in to Mrs. Johnson in Guidance.
Quote of the day from Maya Angelou:
If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school
Schedule for Thursday, 9/1 (Dual Enrollment students should attend your college classes and report to scheduled classes here when you get here. You will not be counted absent during time you are in your DE class):
• L1 9:30-10:08 a.m.
• L2 10:13-10:51 a.m.
• L3 10:56-11:34 a.m.
• L4 11:39-12:20 p.m.
• Everyone dismisses to lunch at 12:20
• Report to busses at 12:45 p.m., Riders/drivers may leave at 12:30