GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, August 31, 2016 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Students – here’s tomorrow’s schedule. Buses will run at 12:45. All students must make plans to leave campus by 1:00! Drivers who park in Blackstock need to pick up a parking pass in the front office!
Schedule for Thursday, 9/1 (Dual Enrollment students should attend your college classes and report to scheduled classes here when you get here. You will not be counted absent during time you are in your DE class):
o L1 9:30-10:08 a.m.
o L2 10:13-10:51 a.m.
o L3 10:56-11:34 a.m.
o L4 11:39-12:20 p.m.
§ Everyone dismisses to lunch at 12:20
§ Report to busses at 12:45 p.m., Riders/drivers may leave at 12:30
· Stop by and try out the Gryphon Coffee Nook today – grand opening! See a flyer with info at the bottom of these announcements.
· Students and teachers – please help us locate a GoPro camera that has gone missing from room 213 between Monday and Tuesday this week. Keep your eyes open and if you see it please either bring it by or let us know in the office where you saw it. Thank you!
· Attention Juniors and Seniors: Want to obtain a scholarship of $100, $250 or $500 in addition to a trip to the State Capitol?
The Tennessee Secretary of State’s office is conducting its first ever student essay contest! Our goal is to have a winner from the L&N STEM Academy.
The topic of the essay is voting and the word count limit is only 500 words. Mrs. Griggs would be happy to assist you with your essay response (just shoot her an email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Essay prompt: Surveys show that the younger generations are becoming increasingly disengaged from the electoral process, especially the “millennial” generation. Why do you think this trend is occurring and what is one way to get more young people involved in the process?
Check out the website for more details and contest rules: http://sos.tn.gov/products/essay-contest
Community & Guidance Ops:
· College rep visits coming up! Please register with Mrs. Johnson, email@example.com so she can prepare a large enough meeting space. Tell her which you want to attend:
o Guilford College, Greensboro, NC, Wed, 8/31, 12:15
o Queens University, Charlotte, NC, Thur, 9/1, 10:00
o Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD, Thur, 9/1, 11:30
o Maryville College, Maryville, TN, Fri, 9/2, 12:15
· Sign up now for the PSAT – 9 – 11th grades! The fee is $20 and financial assistance is available--email firstname.lastname@example.org if needed. Registration deadline is September 9th. Registration forms and money can be turned in to Mrs. Johnson in Guidance.
Quote of the day from Leo Tolstoy:
If you want to be happy, be.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school