GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, August 25, 2016 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Genius Hour assignments have been sent to you as a link by email from Mr. Childers. You should check to see where you’ve been placed. Move from day to day by clicking on the tabs across the bottom of the sheet. Failure to report to a Genius Hour is treated with discipline like a class cut. If your name is in GREEN, you did not fill out the Google form and were placed in that activity. The only requests to move that will be granted are those that come from teachers.
· Yearbook photos for grades 9 – 11 and senior makeups (formal and cap & gown) will be taken Monday, Aug 29 during M1 and M2 classes. You will receive order forms in your Advisory class on Friday. You must bring payment with you on Monday to order pictures, but everyone has one taken for the yearbook, Aspen profile, and school ID.
· You will receive Yearbook order forms in your Genius Hour today. Order now at the lowest price of the year! The price only goes up if you wait!
· Heads up to drivers and parents – two upcoming changes to schedules/parking:
o Friday, Aug 26 – WFP Drive will have one lane closed in the afternoon. Do NOT park to wait along the Holiday Inn – it keeps buses from being able to reach our parking lot. Use an alternate pick up location!
o Thursday, Sept 1 (next week) – school will dismiss and buses will run at 12:45 p.m. Students who usually park in the Blackstock public lot need to pick up a parking pass from the front office for that day (available beginning Monday, 8/29). You will not be allowed in the lot without one!
Community & Guidance Ops:
· College rep visits coming up! Please register with Mrs. Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org so she can prepare a large enough meeting space. Tell her which you want to attend:
o Guilford College, Greensboro, NC, Wed, 8/31, 12:15
o Queens University, Charlotte, NC, Thur, 9/1, 10:00
o Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD, Thur, 9/1, 11:30
o Maryville College, Maryville, TN, Fri, 9/2, 12:15
· PSAT registration is now open to all 9th-11th graders. We would like to have 100% participation for our 9th, 10th, and 11th graders, even if students have previously taken this exam. The registration form was emailed out to all students and is also available in the Guidance office. The fee is $20 and financial assistance is available--email email@example.com if needed. Registration deadline is September 9th. Registration forms and money can be turned in to Mrs. Johnson in Guidance.
· Looking for something interesting to do this weekend? Come to Market Square/Krutch Park from 11:00 – 5:00 for the Knox Asian Festival. Find out more about the activities on their website at http://www.knoxasianfestival.com .
· In-Home Tutoring will be hosting a Free Mock ACT on Saturday, August 27 at 9 a.m. for all Knox County students, at ITT tech. Students will get their results before they leave and will get to keep their tests for their review. Limited seating is available, so students need to pre-register to make sure they have a seat. This is a great practice opportunity before the September test. Sign-up directly from their website at www.KnoxvilleTutor.com
Quote of the day from Nathaniel Hawthorne:
Every individual has a place to fill in the world, and is important in some respect whether he chooses to be so or not.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school