GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, April 10, 2017 – “M” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
Early Release Schedule
· Special Congratulations edition of announcements today! Gryphons had quite a weekend! Here are the winners we know of so far:
o Tennessee History Day – the following winners qualified for National History Day at the University of Maryland in June –
§ First Place Senior Group Exhibit—“Anne Hutchinson: Religious Rebel” by Hyatt Christenberry, Molly Miller, Aruha Khan, Madison Jackson. Teachers: Norton and Griffin
§ Second Place Senior Individual Documentary – “The Bijou Theatre: Taking a Stand for Equality” by Jared Watkins. Teacher: Stanish
§ Third Place Senior Group Documentary – “The Coal Creek Sage: When Miners Stood Up for Their Labor Rights” by Zachary Medly, Abigail Wells, Alexandra Lee. Teachers: Norton and Griffin
§ And special shout out to Mrs. Robbins – who was honored as the THD Teacher of the Year for 2017!!
o TN Music Educators Association All-State String Orchestra - Congratulations to Connor McGinley for an outstanding performance on violin in Nashville at TMEA All-State String Orchestra! Top musical honors for one of our best musicians at L&N - way to go, Connor!
o PC Pro Industry Certifications – last week Ryan Barrick was our first, and already we’ve added Nathan Carpenter as PC-Pro nationally certified! Congratulations guys!
o Technology Student Association (TSA) also had the state tournament over the weekend. L&N cleaned up there, too! It is a big list and we’re still compiling the winners so watch tomorrow’s briefing for a complete list!
· Hey students! Have you noticed the new green screen wall on the 2nd floor of the Depot building? It is in the vestibule outside the STEM Space. We put it there for you to exercise your creativity. If you post a picture on Twitter or Instagram using it please tag the school @LNSTEMAC or #LNgreenscreen so we can collect them! Let your imagination take you everywhere with it!
· Show your school spirit by for voting for our school in the School Spirit Contest. The school with the most votes wins $2500. Tell your family and friends to vote, too! http://www.knoxnews.com/search/school%20spirit%20challenge/
· The Advanced PE class is sponsoring the 2nd Annual SpikeBall Tournament to benefit the downtown YMCA. Our students get to go the downtown YMCA for free whenever they want with the class. This is our way to give back to thank them and have some fun. If each team donated $10 we’d have a nice donation to make to the programs at the YMCA that we and the community get to use! Please respond to this survey by Wednesday, April 12 to sign up for the tournament! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VGVHV23
· Attention Seniors and Senior Parents! The PTSA is sponsoring an interfaith baccalaureate service for graduating seniors and their families. This year's service will be held on Sunday, May 7, at 3pm at Immaculate Conception Church located at 414 West Vine Street. This promises to be an uplifting ceremony as we kick-off the many graduation-related activities for the class of 2017.
· The L&N Stem Academy staff and faculty will be honoring the 2017 graduates at their annual senior reception. This year's reception will be held at the school on Sunday, May 7 at 4pm. Again, all seniors and their families are encouraged to attend.
· News from the Arts:
o Congratulations to Austin Bradley, who won second place in the Rhythm & Blooms Guitar Design Contest with his entry, "American Woman". Austin will receive a cash award and tickets to the festival this weekend. Please go to Awaken Coffee at 125 W. Jackson this week and vote for Austin's guitar for the People's Choice award.
o Visit Ijams Nature Center this month and enjoy the L&N AP/Honors Art Show on display there. Ijams' Visitor Center is open Monday – Saturday 9 am to 5 pm and Sunday 11 am to 5 pm. The exhibit will be up for the month of April.
o Thanks to NAHS members Ayesha, Savannah, Travis, Desiree, Meliya and Ben for representing us in the Dogwood Arts Festival Chalkwalk Festival. Desiree's image was beautiful and they made us proud.
· Have you heard of STEM Fruved? We are a health-based student organization that has grown across college campuses that focuses on helping students manage their weight and live healthier by focusing on improving dietary intake, increasing physical activity, and improving overall stress management skills. The lead team at UT’s chapter wants to begin groups at high schools and we are their national pilot. Your involvement will help them create a program that is attractive and useful to high school students across the country. Please consider contributing to this prototyping by joining the group for its next meeting. We meet in the STEM space on Monday’s from 3:30-4:30pm.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Interested in taking Driver’s Ed over the summer? Knox County Schools is offering classes at 2 locations. Go here for more information. Pay attention to the registration opportunities listed. There will be no exceptions.
Quote of the day from Carl Sagan:
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school