Good luck to our TSA Team on 1st day of state competition!
GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Thursday, April 6, 2017 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· We are so proud of our first National Industry Certification credential earned by an L&N student while enrolled at our school. Big “well done!” to Ryan Barrick for earning his PC Pro Certification through our Computer Systems class with Mr. Colby! We know there will be more to come!
· News from the Arts:
o Congratulations to Austin Bradley, who won second place in the Rhythm & Blooms Guitar Design Contest with his entry, "American Woman". Austin will receive a cash award and tickets to the festival this weekend. Please go to Awaken Coffee at 125 W. Jackson this week and vote for Austin's guitar for the People's Choice award.
o Visit Ijams Nature Center this month and enjoy the L&N AP/Honors Art Show on display there. Ijams' Visitor Center is open Monday – Saturday 9 am to 5 pm and Sunday 11 am to 5 pm. The exhibit will be up for the month of April.
o Thanks to NAHS members Ayesha, Savannah, Travis, Desiree, Meliya and Ben for representing us in the Dogwood Arts Festival Chalkwalk Festival. Desiree's image was beautiful and they made us proud.
· Note – if you get picked up in the afternoon – the WFP next to the lawn will have one lane closed on Thursday this week for a private event during afternoon pick up. Please have parents pick you up at an alternate location. They will not be able to park next to the Holiday Inn.
· Juniors and Seniors, this is your last chance to turn in your guest forms for prom. Without these you cannot receive your prom ticket and your guest will not be allowed into prom. We are also missing many emergency contact forms. If you did not fill out an emergency contact form at purchase or paid senior dues, please contact Riley (email@example.com).
· Congratulations to Laura Bretscher and Cameron Johnson who took 1st and 3rd places respectively in the Digital Media, Video or Animation category at the Roane State Academic Festival last week. The L&N STEM Academy was one of over 30 high schools to compete, and our Gryphon film students did not disappoint. Laura's 1st-place video can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZWvs8bka0 and Cameron's 3rd-place video can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCEaNBzuhDI.
· Seniors! Interested in joining a campus ministry when you go off to college? The UTK BCM is hosting a night for high school seniors on April 6th at 7pm to experience what a college campus ministry is like. All seniors are welcome. This will be held on UT’s campus (The Baptist Colligate Ministry, 1811 Melrose Ave, Knoxville), but is not just for students attending UTK. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
· Have you heard of STEM Fruved? We are a health-based student organization that has grown across college campuses that focuses on helping students manage their weight and live healthier by focusing on improving dietary intake, increasing physical activity, and improving overall stress management skills. The lead team at UT’s chapter wants to begin groups at high schools and we are their national pilot. Your involvement will help them create a program that is attractive and useful to high school students across the country. Please consider contributing to this prototyping by joining the group for its next meeting. We meet in the STEM space on Monday’s from 3:30-4:30pm.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Juniors and seniors: the Guidance office will have a Dual Enrollment Specialist available to answer questions about college classes while still in high school on Wednesday, April 5, from 12:20 – 1:30 in room G006.
· All students – the President of East TN State University (ETSU) will be on campus for a recruiting visit this Thursday, April 6, from 10:10 – 10:45 in our Media Center. Email Mrs. Johnson in Guidance to sign up if interested in attending (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· All graduating L&N seniors are encouraged to apply for the Merlin Scholarship and the The Rebekah Ellis Honorary Scholarship for Service each worth $1,000. One winner for each will be selected and announced at the awards night in April. All submissions must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 7. Follow this link to learn more about the scholarships, essay prompts and to apply.
Quote of the day from Mahatma Gandhi:
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school