GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Tuesday, April 11, 2017 – “L” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· The SGA Student Incentives Committee says “Congratulations!” to the students of the month for March:
o Freshman - Alyssa Ard
o Sophomore - Treasure Rowe
o Junior - Laura Bretscher
o Senior - Lauren Tenpenny
The incentives committee appreciates all of these students’ hard work and their success in embodying the qualities it takes to be a Gryphon.
· Here are the accolades won this weekend at the TSA State Leadership Conference – “well done” to all our competitors and coach Mrs. Ellis!
o Kendyl Nicely was elected to the officer position of Tennessee TSA Secretary
o 1st Place--Children's Stories: Natalie Duncan and Kendyl Nicely
o 1st Place--Essays on Technology: AJ Thayer
o 2nd Place--Chapter Team Oral: Alyssa Ard, Natalie Duncan, William Duncan, Elijah Erwin, Jake Link, Kendyl Nicely
o 2nd Place--Extemporaneous Speech: Hyatt Christenberry
o 2nd Place--STEM Careers: Laura Bretscher
o 3rd Place--Chapter Team Written: Alyssa Ard
· Big shout out to our Ethics Bowl team – Sonaz Jazny, Patrick Juhl, Alex Seaver, Connor Shields, Witt Spiller, and Bryce Lane. They competed in the National competition this weekend in Charlotte, NC. They defeated a team from Woodrow Wilson High and went up against powerhouse teams from New York and Chicago. You represented the state of TN well and we’re proud of you and your coach, Mr. Webb!
· Check out prom photos at http://stem2017.ve-ph.com
· Congratulations to Austin Bradley, who won second place in the Rhythm & Blooms Guitar Design Contest with his entry, "American Woman". Austin won a cash award and tickets to the festival this weekend. He also WON the People's Choice Award. Great work, Austin!
· Visit Ijams Nature Center this month and enjoy the L&N AP/Honors Art Show on display there. Ijams' Visitor Center is open Monday – Saturday 9 am to 5 pm and Sunday 11 am to 5 pm. The exhibit will be up for the month of April.
· Special Congratulations edition of announcements today! Gryphons had quite a weekend! Here are the winners we know of so far:
o Tennessee History Day – the following winners qualified for National History Day at the University of Maryland in June –
§ First Place Senior Group Exhibit—“Anne Hutchinson: Religious Rebel” by Hyatt Christenberry, Molly Miller, Aruha Khan, Madison Jackson. Teachers: Norton and Griffin
§ Second Place Senior Individual Documentary – “The Bijou Theatre: Taking a Stand for Equality” by Jared Watkins. Teacher: Stanish
§ Third Place Senior Group Documentary – “The Coal Creek Sage: When Miners Stood Up for Their Labor Rights” by Zachary Medly, Abigail Wells, Alexandra Lee. Teachers: Norton and Griffin
§ And special shout out to Mrs. Robbins – who was honored as the THD Teacher of the Year for 2017!!
o TN Music Educators Association All-State String Orchestra - Congratulations to Connor McGinley for an outstanding performance on violin in Nashville at TMEA All-State String Orchestra! Top musical honors for one of our best musicians at L&N - way to go, Connor!
o PC Pro Industry Certifications – last week Ryan Barrick was our first, and already we’ve added Nathan Carpenter as PC-Pro nationally certified! Congratulations guys and instructor Mr. Colby!
· Hey students! Have you noticed the new green screen wall on the 2nd floor of the Depot building? It is in the vestibule outside the STEM Space. We put it there for you to exercise your creativity. If you post a picture on Twitter or Instagram using it please tag the school @LNSTEMAC or #LNgreenscreen so we can collect them! Let your imagination take you everywhere with it!
· Show your school spirit by for voting for our school in the School Spirit Contest. The school with the most votes wins $2500. Tell your family and friends to vote, too! http://www.knoxnews.com/search/school%20spirit%20challenge/
· The Advanced PE class is sponsoring the 2nd Annual SpikeBall Tournament to benefit the downtown YMCA. Our students get to go the downtown YMCA for free whenever they want with the class. This is our way to give back to thank them and have some fun. If each team donated $10 we’d have a nice donation to make to the programs at the YMCA that we and the community get to use! Please respond to this survey by Wednesday, April 12 to sign up for the tournament! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VGVHV23
· Attention Seniors and Senior Parents! The PTSA is sponsoring an interfaith baccalaureate service for graduating seniors and their families. This year's service will be held on Sunday, May 7, at 3pm at Immaculate Conception Church located at 414 West Vine Street. This promises to be an uplifting ceremony as we kick-off the many graduation-related activities for the class of 2017.
· The L&N Stem Academy staff and faculty will be honoring the 2017 graduates at their annual senior reception. This year's reception will be held at the school on Sunday, May 7 at 4pm. Again, all seniors and their families are encouraged to attend.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· The Knoxville Area Urban League is taking applications for the National Achievers Society. The program is open to rising 10th-12th students of color, who have a 3.0 GPA. Applications are in Guidance. The deadline is April 28, 2017.
· Interested in taking Driver’s Ed over the summer? Knox County Schools is offering classes at 2 locations. Go here for more information. Pay attention to the registration opportunities listed. There will be no exceptions.
Quote of the day from former Secretary of State, Colin Powell:
If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school