GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Wednesday, April 5, 2017 – “N” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
· Note – if you get picked up in the afternoon – the WFP next to the lawn will have one lane closed on Thursday this week for a private event during afternoon pick up. Please have parents pick you up at an alternate location. They will not be able to park next to the Holiday Inn.
· Juniors and Seniors, this is your last chance to turn in your guest forms for prom. Without these you cannot receive your prom ticket and your guest will not be allowed into prom. We are also missing many emergency contact forms. If you did not fill out an emergency contact form at purchase or paid senior dues, please contact Riley (firstname.lastname@example.org).
· Congratulations to Laura Bretscher and Cameron Johnson who took 1st and 3rd places respectively in the Digital Media, Video or Animation category at the Roane State Academic Festival last week. The L&N STEM Academy was one of over 30 high schools to compete, and our Gryphon film students did not disappoint. Laura's 1st-place video can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZWvs8bka0 and Cameron's 3rd-place video can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCEaNBzuhDI.
· Seniors! Interested in joining a campus ministry when you go off to college? The UTK BCM is hosting a night for high school seniors on April 6th at 7pm to experience what a college campus ministry is like. All seniors are welcome. This will be held on UT’s campus (The Baptist Colligate Ministry, 1811 Melrose Ave, Knoxville), but is not just for students attending UTK. For more information email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Make plans to join us as we host an outdoor screening of the Jane Austen classic, Emma, starring Gwyneth Paltrow on our plaza in conjunction with the University of Tennessee’s multi-day event, AustenFest. No charge, just bring a lawn chair! Movie will start as close to 7:00 as the light allows. In case of rain, we will move inside to the Commons area.
· Have you heard of STEM Fruved? We are a health-based student organization that has grown across college campuses that focuses on helping students manage their weight and live healthier by focusing on improving dietary intake, increasing physical activity, and improving overall stress management skills. The lead team at UT’s chapter wants to begin groups at high schools and we are their national pilot. Your involvement will help them create a program that is attractive and useful to high school students across the country. Please consider contributing to this prototyping by joining the group for its next meeting. We meet in the STEM space on Monday’s from 3:30-4:30pm.
Community & Guidance Ops:
· Juniors and seniors: the Guidance office will have a Dual Enrollment Specialist available to answer questions about college classes while still in high school on Wednesday, April 5, from 12:20 – 1:30 in room G006.
· All students – the President of East TN State University (ETSU) will be on campus for a recruiting visit this Thursday, April 6, from 10:10 – 10:45 in our Media Center. Email Mrs. Johnson in Guidance to sign up if interested in attending (email@example.com)
· All graduating L&N seniors are encouraged to apply for the Merlin Scholarship and the The Rebekah Ellis Honorary Scholarship for Service each worth $1,000. One winner for each will be selected and announced at the awards night in April. All submissions must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 7. Follow this link to learn more about the scholarships, essay prompts and to apply.
Quote of the day from Eleanor Roosevelt:
You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school