GRYPHON MISSION BRIEFING
For Monday, April 3, 2017 – “M” day
L&N Student Mission – #Own it!
Early Release Schedule
· Seniors – don’t forget your last TN Promise meeting this morning (Monday) from 8:00 – 9:00 in the STEM space! Meeting is required!
· Make plans to join us as we host an outdoor screening of the Jane Austen classic, Emma, starring Gwyneth Paltrow on our plaza in conjunction with the University of Tennessee’s multi-day event, AustenFest. No charge, just bring a lawn chair! Movie will start as close to 7:00 as the light allows.
· Congratulations to Angel Quay whose mission patch design was chosen to represent us on Space Mission 11 for the Student Spaceflight Experiments Program (SSEP). Her winning design will take flight into space and travel on the International Space Station, accompanying an experiment that will be designed by KCS students and selected by a scientific panel. Upon return back to space, the patch will be stamped as having flown to space with NASA and returned to her. Thank you, Angel, for representing the L&N and Knoxville so well!
· Kudos to senior Kieran Phelps for acceptance into the NSLI for Youth program. This summer he will spend 6 weeks in Morocco studying Arabic. That makes 2 years in a row the for L&N as last year Riley Hester participated in the same program and went to Moldova to study Russian. STEM is truly worldwide!
· Have you heard of STEM Fruved? We are a health-based student organization that has grown across college campuses that focuses on helping students manage their weight and live healthier by focusing on improving dietary intake, increasing physical activity, and improving overall stress management skills. The lead team at UT’s chapter wants to begin groups at high schools and we are their national pilot. Your involvement will help them create a program that is attractive and useful to high school students across the country. Please consider contributing to this prototyping by joining the group for its next meeting. We meet in the STEM space on Monday’s from 3:30-4:30pm.
· Calling all artists! How would you like your work featured in permanent paint on a public stormdrain in Knox County? Seriously! Knox County is looking for artists to paint storm drains to educate people about environmental issues. There is a cash prize, and up to 10 artists will be chosen. Applications are due May 1. You can find more information here: https://www.knoxcounty.org/stormwater/strong_streams_art.php
Community & Guidance Ops:
· This is the last week to request classes for next year! If you have questions plan on going to see your counselor (with teacher permission) Tuesday and Thursday this week from 12:30 – 3:30 (no appointment necessary) OR Wednesday from 9:30 – 12:30. Follow directions that were given to you in Advisory last Friday!
· A big “well done” to sophomores Joey Motto and Logan O’Neal who have both been accepted into UTK’s eVOL10 program this summer. They’ll spend time on campus interacting with hand-picked future engineers from across the state and UTK’s faculty and grad students. Way to represent the local crowd guys!
· All graduating L&N seniors are encouraged to apply for the Merlin Scholarship and the The Rebekah Ellis Honorary Scholarship for Service each worth $1,000. One winner for each will be selected and announced at the awards night in April. All submissions must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 7. Follow this link to learn more about the scholarships, essay prompts and to apply.
Quote of the day from Oprah Winfrey:
The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Professionalism, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Innovation, Inquiry, & Design
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, US News & World Report Gold Medal 2016, Newsweek’s Top 500 “Beating the Odds” school