For Wednesday, September 11, 2013 – Patriots Day
“N” Day Schedule
· Today’s Advisory lesson is a special commemorative event for the 12th Anniversary of 9/11/01, a remembrance referred to now as “Patriots Day.” We will have many noted officials and guests in attendance, please pass on the invitation to your family, especially any who are military or serve as police, fire, or first responders. We expect best behavior and professionalism from all Gryphons! Report to Advisory as usual, you will receive instructions from there.Parents, friends, and family are invited to join us from 10:45 - 11:10 on the Plaza.
· Friday, September 20th (NOTE NEW DATE) is SGA Movie Night! We will be watching The Great Gatsby out on the plaza starting at 8:00. Parents and siblings are welcome. There is no cost, but SGA will be selling concessions. Please bring lawn chairs and/or blankets to sit on.
· UT College of Social Work will be providing classes on 9/21, 10/12, 11/2, 11/16 and 12/7 that help teens with skills to make smart choices about sex and drugs. For attending the class they receive a $60 Walmart gift card. Interested students or parents should call 974-9217 or email email@example.com.
· A small black-tipped stylus cap has been lost. If you’ve seen it, please turn it in to the front office.
· "Imagine life without breast cancer." Walk or run with us to help support a cure! Everyone is welcome (family, friends, students, teachers, parents, siblings, etc.). Join our school team NOW for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held on October 26, 2013, in World's Fair Park. Sign up here: http://www.komenknoxville.org/komen-race-for-the-cure/ Our team is the L&N STEM Academy Gryphons, and our team type is School.
· Prom Committee is selling Knox County School coupon books. Price is $10, cash, or check made payable to L&N STEM Academy. See any Prom Committee member for more info.
· 9th-11th graders may now sign up for the PSAT. Information about the PSAT can be found on the Guidance page of the website. Registration is $14.00 and can be turned in to Mrs. Johnson in the Guidance office. If payment is an issue for you, please check with your counselor to request a fee waiver voucher. The deadline for registration is September 18th at 4:00 pm. Payment can be made with check or EXACT cash and is NON-REFUNDABLE. The PSAT will be administered at STEM the morning of October 16th (the day before Fall Break).
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
· Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
· Gryphon Outreach (a volunteer service club) will hold an interest meeting for freshmen only on Sept. 20, 8:45 a.m., in the STEM space.
· Students: Love to read? Consider joining our new school book club! We're having an interest meeting this Wednesday, September 11, in the Media Center, during early dismissal hour(3:30 pm). Feel free to bring suggestions for books to read this school year.
· There will be a TSA (Technology Students Association) meeting at 9:00 in G006 on Wednesday, September 11th.
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
http://mitadmissions.org/visit/travel - Wed., Sept 11 evening at Downtown Marriott
ALSO – MIT will be in our building today. Interested juniors and seniors may attend these visits by RSVPing to the email invitations sent by Mrs. Johnson in Guidance. You will not be able to attend if you don’t respond!
Monday, September 16 at 6:00 pm at Bearden High School! Mark your calendars now as this is definitely a night not to be missed!! Maria Furtado, Executive Director of the non-profit organization, Colleges That Changes Lives (CTCL), will challenge your approach to compiling a college list. Hear the latest research on specific campus characteristics and learning components that lead to a successful college experience. But be forewarned: your view of popular college rankings will be challenged as these reports are just one measure of quality among many. Above all, Ms. Furtado will encourage you to make the college search process a well-informed journey that leads to the best possible outcome: finding the best college fit.
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm at Oak Ridge High School, The University of Chicago will host a College Information Session for interested juniors, seniors and their families. The program will consist of a 20-30 minute presentation about U Chicago, another 20 minutes covering the application process and what highly selective schools are looking for, and then some time for questions. A diversity of materials will be available for families as well. If your child has an interest in U Chicago (or a highly selective college in general), this session is well worth your time!
· Attention Seniors: We will be hosting a Senior Information Night on Thursday, September 12th at 6:30 pm in the STEM classroom of the Depot. Please join us for important information about college applications, requesting transcripts, and senior year timeline. Also joining us will be Elizabeth Raymond from the TN Student Assistance Corporation to talk about financial aid and scholarships. Please be sure to bring your parents!
Quote of the day: from Secretary of State John Kerry:
Remember the hours after September 11th when we came together as one to answer the attack against our homeland. We drew strength when our firefighters ran upstairs and risked their lives so that others might live; when rescuers rushed into smoke and fire at the Pentagon; when the men and women of Flight 93 sacrificed themselves to save our nation’s Capitol; when flags were hanging from front porches all across America, and strangers became friends. It was the worst day we have ever seen, but it brought out the best in all of us.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School