For Wednesday, September 18, 2013
“L” Day Schedule
· All 10th grade students will promptly report to the ACT Plan test tomorrow morning for their first block class at 9:30. Students are expected to bring a working calculator and pencil to the test. The following is a list of students and their testing rooms based on their placement in the alphabet. Students displaced from their classes will report to the commons for supervision. Rosters have been posted in the commons of those displaced students and the location of all 10th grade students.
Room #203: Aaser-Chase
Room #205: Clancy-Foster
Room #207: Fox-Kearns
Room #216: Keith-Morgan
Room #221: Morris-Shah
Room #222: Shamblin-Young
· Students, we need to raise money to properly frame for display the Honor Flag given to us by the Woodmen of the World on 9/11 (about $200 is needed). So, we’re going to have a “frame the flag” day this Friday, Sept 20. For this one day only, you can purchase a ticket when you get to school for $1 that will allow you to wear any hat you wish (silly or otherwise) as long as it does not violate system codes for what it advertises (nothing illegal, offensive, etc.). Any monies raised over the amount needed will go to support other schoolwide activities.
· Join us this Friday, September 20th for SGA Movie Night! We will be watching The Great Gatsby out on the plaza starting at 8:00. Parents and siblings are welcome. There is no cost, but SGA will be selling concessions, please come and buy dinner/snacks to support the SGA! Bring your own lawn chairs and/or blankets to sit on.
· If you are interested in playing Lacrosse The West Knox Warriors wants you. This team is not affiliated with any school. Fall practices are Mondays Tuesdays and Wednesdays starting at 6:00 pm at Safety City Field. The first practice is Monday September the 16th. Their is a $200 fee for the fall $250 for the spring. More information can be found at http://westknoxwarriors.com/.
· UT College of Social Work will be providing classes on 9/21, 10/12, 11/2, 11/16 and 12/7 that help teens with skills to make smart choices about sex and drugs. For attending the class they receive a $60 Walmart gift card. Interested students or parents should call 974-9217 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: you MUST have a parent call or email prior to the first class in order to be able to participate.
· Join SGA and the STEM Academy in helping support a cure for breast cancer in our own backyard! Everyone is welcome (family, friends, students, teachers, parents, etc.). Join our school team for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held on Saturday, October 26, 2013, in World's Fair Park. Sign up here: http://www.komenknoxville.org/komen-race-for-the-cure/ Our team is the L&N STEM Academy Gryphons. Walk or run, it's sure to be fun!
· 9th-11th graders may now sign up for the PSAT. Information about the PSAT can be found on the Guidance page of the website. Registration is $14.00 and can be turned in to Mrs. Johnson in the Guidance office. If payment is an issue for you, please check with your counselor to request a fee waiver voucher. The deadline for registration is TODAY at 4:00 pm. Payment can be made with check or EXACT cash and is NON-REFUNDABLE. The PSAT will be administered at STEM the morning of October 16th (the day before Fall Break).
· Any girl interested in playing powder puff football email: email@example.com. There are no prior skills required, its free, and fun!
· Thinking about the military? Our first student to commit has offered to talk with anyone interested to share his experiences so far and contact info with the Navy. Email S038947@student.knoxschools.org
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Prom Committee meeting Wednesday, Sept 18, 8:45 – 9:20 in room 104. See Mrs. Brown or Ms. Stanish if you have questions.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
· Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
· Gryphon Outreach (a volunteer service club) will hold an interest meeting for freshmen only on Sept. 20, 8:45 a.m., in the STEM space.
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
Recruiters on campus: UT Chattanooga will be here today (9/13) and Monday. Be sure to respond to the invitation sent by guidance to be able to attend.
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm at Oak Ridge High School, The University of Chicago will host a College Information Session for interested juniors, seniors and their families. The program will consist of a 20-30 minute presentation about U Chicago, another 20 minutes covering the application process and what highly selective schools are looking for, and then some time for questions. A diversity of materials will be available for families as well. If your child has an interest in U Chicago (or a highly selective college in general), this session is well worth your time!
Quote of the day: from E.A. Bucchianeri:
Well, if it can be thought, it can be done, a problem can be overcome.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School