For Thursday, September 5, 2013
“N” Day Schedule
· Friday, September 13th is SGA Movie Night! We will be watching The Great Gatsby out on the plaza starting at 8:30. Parents and siblings are welcome. There is no cost, but SGA will be selling concessions. Please bring lawn chairs and/or blankets to sit on.
· Congratulations to L&N students for winning "Best of" at the Tennessee Valley Fair art competition! Luke Layton won in Printmaking and Noelle French won in Digital Photography! Great way to represent us, Luke and Noelle!
· Lost – a light blue, 6th generation iPod Nano. Please turn in to the office if found, no questions asked, reward is being offered.
· Come by the bookstore for your campus gear! Open M/W/F from 8:45 – 9:15 and at lunch on those days.
· SGA applications should all be filled out, signed by the student and appropriate adults, and turned in to the Media Center with the SGA fee by this Friday, Sept. 6.
· "Imagine life without breast cancer." Walk or run with us to help support a cure! Everyone is welcome (family, friends, students, teachers, parents, siblings, etc.). Join our school team NOW for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held on October 26, 2013, in World's Fair Park. Sign up here: http://www.komenknoxville.org/komen-race-for-the-cure/ Our team is the L&N STEM Academy Gryphons, and our team type is School.
· Prom Committee is selling Knox County School coupon books beginning this Thursday. Price is $10, cash, or check made payable to L&N STEM Academy. See any Prom Committee member for more info.
· 9th-11th graders may now sign up for the PSAT. Information about the PSAT can be found on the Guidance page of the website. Registration is $14.00 and can be turned in to Mrs. Johnson in the Guidance office. If payment is an issue for you, please check with your counselor to request a fee waiver voucher. The deadline for registration is September 18th at 4:00 pm. Payment can be made with check or EXACT cash and is NON-REFUNDABLE. The PSAT will be administered at STEM the morning of October 16th (the day before Fall Break).
· Our own version of a tournament is on the horizon! One of your peers is organizing a fundraising videogame tournament for a couple different L&N organizations. He needs to know who might be interested in participating and what games are suggested for next steps. Please email S727438@student.knoxschools.org with your responses.
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Gryphon Gaming Club will have its first meeting Friday, Sept 6, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
· Gryphon Outreach (a volunteer service club) will hold an interest meeting for freshmen only on Sept. 20, 8:45 a.m., in the STEM space.
· Students: Love to read? Consider joining our new school book club! We're having an interest meeting on Wednesday, September 11, in the Media Center, right after early dismissal (3:30 pm). Feel free to bring suggestions for books to read this school year.
· Organizational meeting for the new Health and Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) club, this Friday, 9/6, from 8:45 – 9:20 in room D120. For more info, email S018109@student.knoxschools.org.
· There will be a TSA (Technology Students Association) meeting at 9:00 in G006 on September 11th.
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life will be back on campus beginning the week of Labor Day. Watch for morning meeting times and location.
College admissions/visits information:
http://mitadmissions.org/visit/travel - Sept 11 at Downtown Marriott
· Attention Seniors: We will be hosting a Senior Information Night on Thursday, September 12th at 6:30 pm in the STEM classroom of the Depot. Please join us for important information about college applications, requesting transcripts, and senior year timeline. Also joining us will be Elizabeth Raymond from the TN Student Assistance Corporation to talk about financial aid and scholarships. Please be sure to bring your parents!
Quote of the day: from Sophocles:
Always desire to learn something useful.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School