For Monday, September 23, 2013
“N” Day Schedule
· Applications are now available for the Governor’s School programs for summer 2014. Go to this website http://www.tn.gov/education/govschools/index.shtml for more information about all the different programs (ranging from Arts to Sciences to Engineering and Scientific Models). They are held across the state and financial aid is available to help with costs. Deadlines to apply are later this fall. See your Guidance Counselor with any questions.
· UT College of Social Work will be providing classes on 9/21, 10/12, 11/2, 11/16 and 12/7 that help teens with skills to make smart choices about sex and drugs. For attending the class they receive a $60 Walmart gift card. Interested students or parents should call 974-9217 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: you MUST have a parent call or email prior to the first class in order to be able to participate.
· Join SGA and the STEM Academy in helping support a cure for breast cancer in our own backyard! Everyone is welcome (family, friends, students, teachers, parents, etc.). Join our school team for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held on Saturday, October 26, 2013, in World's Fair Park. Sign up here to participate or daonate: http://knoxville.info-komen.org/site/TR/RacefortheCure/KNX_KnoxvilleAffiliate?team_id=269911&pg=team&fr_id=3625 Our team is the L&N STEM Academy Gryphons. Walk or run, it's sure to be fun!
· Any girl interested in playing powder puff football email: email@example.com. There are no prior skills required, its free, and fun!
· Thinking about the military? Our first student to commit has offered to talk with anyone interested to share his experiences so far and contact info with the Navy. Email S038947@student.knoxschools.org
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Want to be a part of the L&N Climbing Club Team? The L&N Climbing Team is having an informational meeting to discuss practice times, the competition schedule, fees, and future meeting times. Join us this morning from 9:00-9:15 AM in room 104. This will NOT be our typical meeting time. All are welcome to join!
· Prom Committee will meet Tues, September 24, 8:45 in room 104.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
· Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
· Gryphon Outreach (a volunteer service club) will hold an interest meeting for freshmen only on Sept. 20, 8:45 a.m., in the STEM space.
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
Recruiters on campus: UT Chattanooga will be here today (9/13) and Monday. Be sure to respond to the invitation sent by guidance to be able to attend.
Quote of the day from Will Durant:
The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School