For Thursday, September 19, 2013
“N” Day Schedule
· As a reminder that we are in a highly populated area and situational awareness is important: on Tuesday, a white female driving a gold vehicle (possibly a Saturn) approached a lone female student on the South end of the WFP lawn during PE class. It was reported that the female attempted to summon the student to her vehicle. The student declined the invitation, which appeared to anger the woman. The woman then left the area in her vehicle. Be aware of those around you and report any suspicious activity – help us keep you safe!
· The following students need to report to their regular first block class for roll Thursday morning (9/19) at 9:30 and then report directly to the War Room (behind the cafeteria) for the ACT PLAN make up test. Students should bring pencils and calculators. Testing should be completed by the beginning of second period. Maciah Cole, Christopher Colley, Austin Holloway, T'Neycia Jackson, Max Mylchreest, Yves Paultre, William Sanders
· Students, we need to raise money to properly frame for display the Honor Flag given to us by the Woodmen of the World on 9/11 (about $200 is needed). So, we’re going to have a “frame the flag” day tomorrow, Sept 20. For this one day only, you can purchase a sticker from teachers/administrators in the Commons when you get to school for $1 that will allow you to wear any hat you wish (silly or otherwise) as long as it does not violate system codes for what it advertises (nothing illegal, offensive, etc.). Any monies raised over the amount needed will go to support other schoolwide activities.
· Join us this tomorrow, September 20th for SGA Movie Night! We will be watching The Great Gatsby out on the plaza starting at 8:00. Parents and siblings are welcome. There is no cost, but SGA will be selling concessions, please come and buy dinner/snacks to support the SGA! Bring your own lawn chairs and/or blankets to sit on.
· Lost: silver TI-84+ graphing calculator. If found, you may turn in to any teacher or the office.
· If you are interested in playing Lacrosse The West Knox Warriors wants you. This team is not affiliated with any school. Fall practices are Mondays Tuesdays and Wednesdays starting at 6:00 pm at Safety City Field. The first practice is Monday September the 16th. Their is a $200 fee for the fall $250 for the spring. More information can be found at http://westknoxwarriors.com/.
· UT College of Social Work will be providing classes on 9/21, 10/12, 11/2, 11/16 and 12/7 that help teens with skills to make smart choices about sex and drugs. For attending the class they receive a $60 Walmart gift card. Interested students or parents should call 974-9217 or email email@example.com. Please note: you MUST have a parent call or email prior to the first class in order to be able to participate.
· Join SGA and the STEM Academy in helping support a cure for breast cancer in our own backyard! Everyone is welcome (family, friends, students, teachers, parents, etc.). Join our school team for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure held on Saturday, October 26, 2013, in World's Fair Park. Sign up here: http://www.komenknoxville.org/komen-race-for-the-cure/ Our team is the L&N STEM Academy Gryphons. Walk or run, it's sure to be fun!
· Any girl interested in playing powder puff football email: firstname.lastname@example.org. There are no prior skills required, its free, and fun!
· Thinking about the military? Our first student to commit has offered to talk with anyone interested to share his experiences so far and contact info with the Navy. Email S038947@student.knoxschools.org
Opportunities to be involved with your school:
· Gryphon Film Club is having meetings again. We are meeting on Thursday afternoons from 4:45 to 6:00 in room 214.
· Want to be a part of the L&N Climbing Club Team? The L&N Climbing Team is having an informational meeting to discuss practice times, the competition schedule, fees, and future meeting times. Join us this Friday from 9:00-9:15 AM in room 104. This will NOT be our typical meeting time. All are welcome to join!
· Prom Committee will meet Wed., Sept 25, 8:45 in room 104.
· Gryphon Gaming Club, Fridays, from 8:45 – 9:15 in room D119. Emphasis is on video gaming, but all gamers are welcome!
· Health Environmental Issues Organization (HEIO) meets Wednesday mornings from 8:45 – 9:20 in D116.
· Gryphon Outreach (a volunteer service club) will hold an interest meeting for freshmen only on Sept. 20, 8:45 a.m., in the STEM space.
· Teens for Christ meets Monday mornings at 9:00 in room D113. All are welcome.
· GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) meet 8:45 – 9:15 on Thursday mornings in room 222. All are welcome.
· Young Life meeting Thursdays at 8:43 in room D112.
College admissions/visits information:
Recruiters on campus: UT Chattanooga will be here today (9/13) and Monday. Be sure to respond to the invitation sent by guidance to be able to attend.
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm at Oak Ridge High School, The University of Chicago will host a College Information Session for interested juniors, seniors and their families. The program will consist of a 20-30 minute presentation about U Chicago, another 20 minutes covering the application process and what highly selective schools are looking for, and then some time for questions. A diversity of materials will be available for families as well. If your child has an interest in U Chicago (or a highly selective college in general), this session is well worth your time!
Quote of the day: from Voltaire:
No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.
Practice L&N Habits every day: Collaboration, Critical thinking, Design, Innovation, Inquiry, & Professionalism
L&N STEM Academy – TN’s First Apple School of Distinction, 2012-13 TN Reward School